TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace my shocks on my 99tacoma ext. cab TRD. It has toyota bilstien shocks. but if I order thru Toyota, they are 450dollars. I notice ebay and other pages have bilstien shocks for a tacoma. Can anyone tell me if these are the same shocks as toyota sells. I need something for minor offroad use. Or match the performance of the factory bilstiens that toyota puts ont them.

·
TTORA SoCal
1,976 Posts
bigcountry11 said:
I need to replace my shocks on my 99tacoma ext. cab TRD. It has toyota bilstien shocks. but if I order thru Toyota, they are 450dollars. I notice ebay and other pages have bilstien shocks for a tacoma. Can anyone tell me if these are the same shocks as toyota sells. I need something for minor offroad use. Or match the performance of the factory bilstiens that toyota puts ont them.
If you are trying to keep around that price, look into maybe OME coilovers for the front. It will ride better than stock, and will give the front a little lift.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, so your saying I can get a set of bilstien coil overs for the 450 price range and have a much better ride than factory shocks alone?

I see coil overs all over the net. Do they fit the same?

Thanks for the info.

·
TTORA SoCal
1,976 Posts
You can get one of those coilover sets on the link I posted for less than the dealer price, gat a mild lift in the front, and still ride the same as stock. Wheelers doesn't charge tax, or shipping either, so that is the best deal out there on new stuff.

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
What is your reason for wanting Bilstiens? because they came on the truck from the factory in the TRD Package? If so, save some money.

With the TRD coils and struts, you actually get a harsher ride than with the non TRD package.

I had a non TRD factory suspension that I thought I would be upgrading if I swapped it out for all TRD stuff. Made my ride a lot stiffer. The softest ride I finally achieved was from my SAS, but that is a different story.

If you are looking for ride quality, I would walk away from the Bilstien/TRD package and go a completely different route.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was happy with TRD setup. I do alot of beach riding which is rough on my shocks with 1ft ruts everwhere. I do some minor 4 wheeling.

And I don't know much about aftermarket or other setups, so not comfortable in changing to the unknown.

·
TTORA SoCal
1,976 Posts
bigcountry11 said:
I was happy with TRD setup. I do alot of beach riding which is rough on my shocks with 1ft ruts everwhere. I do some minor 4 wheeling.

And I don't know much about aftermarket or other setups, so not comfortable in changing to the unknown.
Be very comfortable. There are TONS of us on here that have done this. Get another brand. THey will take those sand holes better than ANYTHING stock. And they will ride better too. But don't do it if you don't believe us :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
I guess I have never quite understood the 'don't vary from stock' frame of mind. Perhaps some just don't realize that most of the aftermarket stuff is better than stock. Yes, you do have to research and make smart choices, but not worth the fear.

I even remember seeing a thread over on Jeep Forum (used to own a TJ) where a guy was insistent on changing wheels but only to something else made by Jeep. Aftermarket was completely out of the question. He didn't 'trust' them.

I dunno. I don't get it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
so are those OME shocks that come with the kit good shocks? Or would it be worth it to shell out extra $ and get bilstein shocks to go with those OME coils?

·
TTORA SoCal
1,976 Posts
rosscopeeko said:
so are those OME shocks that come with the kit good shocks? Or would it be worth it to shell out extra $ and get bilstein shocks to go with those OME coils?
They are fine shocks. Alot of people have run those coilovers as their first. I ran 881's before I got my Donahoes.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
I can understand you trusting the evaluation of the Toyota engineers more than who-knows-who. This is not to say that aftermarket is better or worse, or whether it is just differently appropriate. But, if despite the other advice you still want to stick with Bilstein, you could get their aftermarket shocks. They are arguably still an upgrade over the Toyota TRD version - though in the rear, with their larger diameter, it may be prudent to space them away from the leaf springs a little more. Just look up the replacement part numbers on Bilstein's site. These would be the ones that many people on here refer to as the "HD for heavy duty" shocks (though the part numbers actually end in "HO", it just looks like a D). Generally your springs will wear out more slowly than the shocks. Just another option for ya!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I agree "SOME" aftermarket anything is better than stock. But one has to do thier homework. Like for Harley Davidson moto parts. I know all the in's and outs of aftermarket.

Figured I would start asking questions about stock TRD bilstiens and go from there.

I sincerely appreciate the advise so far. So as far as aftermarket, I hear "Donahoes", and what else? Any suggestions?

I don't want a rough ride, just really hoping to get more life out of my shocks when beach riding. I have been rough on the truck, as the sand bogs the truck down, so I usually am haulin down the beach at 25MPH or more. But don't want a rough ride when I get off the beach.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
bigcountry11 said:
...as the sand bogs the truck down, so I usually am haulin down the beach at 25MPH or more...
You do know about airing down, don't you? If you drop the tire pressures below 10psi on sand, the tires will have significantly more 'flotation', and won't bog down as much. The caveat is that you don't want to put in hard or sudden steering, or you could pop a bead off the rim. An electric air compessor or CO2 tank are typically carried to air back up. Less aggressive tire tread patterns also tend to work better in the sand.

If you still want to beat up on your truck and want something that will last better than typical shocks in that particular situation, any of the desert racing style coilovers will work for you and still feel good on the street. You largely get what you pay for, so the price/performance point that is closest to your own comfort level is your personal choice. Read back through the posts in the suspension and desert racing folders to get a feel for whats available.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea, I air down to 15psi generally. Still rough on the motor/clutch. REason I bust down the beach, is one time this year, my tacoma overheated. I was in 4WD low, the sand was particularly fine that day. The wind was blowing at my tailgate. And my antifreeze was boiling over. I let it cool down and its been good since then.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts