TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck has developed a "prerunner" type look. I've cranked my coilovers down, but over time the problem has gotten worse. It's actually the bed bowing back (i.e.- there's less than .5" gap between the bed and the cab at the bottom and close to 1" or more of a gap at the top). All the body mounts are fine, and the frame does not appear to be bent. Has anyone else had this problem? Can I add a .5" shackle to raise the rear? I'm really just concerned about the condition of my truck. If it's just a look thing, than I don't really care, but I want to make sure there's nothing that I need to fix. Thanx.

Afterthought: I'm running coilovers/aal's/and a 3" BL.

·
Registered
741 Posts
tenntaco said:
My truck has developed a "prerunner" type look. I've cranked my coilovers down, but over time the problem has gotten worse. It's actually the bed bowing back (i.e.- there's less than .5" gap between the bed and the cab at the bottom and close to 1" or more of a gap at the top). All the body mounts are fine, and the frame does not appear to be bent. Has anyone else had this problem? Can I add a .5" shackle to raise the rear? I'm really just concerned about the condition of my truck. If it's just a look thing, than I don't really care, but I want to make sure there's nothing that I need to fix. Thanx.

i have stock leafs and a downey HD shackle, i am starting to notice a little bit of sag in the rear, i have had the shackle for almost 2 years.. i don't see any harm in adding a shackle to increase the height in the rear..

·
Registered
205 Posts
tenntaco said:

Adding a shackle will only increase the gap between your wheels and your fenders. It won`t fix the gap between cab and bed. Sounds to me like there
is a problem elsewhere (i.e. cab/bed mounts or frame) Have you done a body lift?

·
Split it open-Eat it out!
659 Posts
trying looking at where the bed mounts to the frame, I've seen these mounts crack over time and then start to fail. The easiest thing to do would be to take off the bed and examine all the mounting points. As others has said the shackle isn't going to help fix your current problem. good luck

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TacomaNova said:
i have stock leafs and a downey HD shackle, i am starting to notice a little bit of sag in the rear, i have had the shackle for almost 2 years.. i don't see any harm in adding a shackle to increase the height in the rear..
I guess I need to reword my original post. I know I can use a shackle to raise the rear a little bit. What I'm concerned with is the tilt of the bed. I guess I was a little confusing there.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ATLRoach said:
Daniel I'll look at your truck on Friday...When I see you.
I'm riding down with the g/f. My truck is not road trip friendly :D I'm going to tighten everything down and see if that does it. My main concern is the frame. Hopefully I'll be ditching the bed in the next 6 months.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The main thing holding me back is steel cost. I called all pro to ask about there kit. I was wondering if the price listed on their sight was still accurate (hasn't changed in a year). They said they buy so much, that they're still working off the last batch. BUT, there's is round tube and extremely expensive to ship to this side of the coast. I'm going by EOR (www.essentiallyoffroad.com) tomorrow on my way to school to see if they can price match or anything like that.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
tenntaco said:
The main thing holding me back is steel cost. I called all pro to ask about there kit. I was wondering if the price listed on their sight was still accurate (hasn't changed in a year). They said they buy so much, that they're still working off the last batch. BUT, there's is round tube and extremely expensive to ship to this side of the coast. I'm going by EOR (www.essentiallyoffroad.com) tomorrow on my way to school to see if they can price match or anything like that.
Talk to Alex at PORC and see if he can hook you up.
www.performanceoffroadcenter.com

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Hell if he can hook you up I'll pick it up when i'm in Athens next. Also can bring it in Jan. to Tellico if need be.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ATLRoach said:
Hell if he can hook you up I'll pick it up when i'm in Athens next. Also can bring it in Jan. to Tellico if need be.
Much too soon. I'm trying to get my schedule for the next 6 months, so I can figure out when/what I can buy to get the swap done. The flatbed will come after that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
5 Participants
tenntaco
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing