TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
Black bears visit us every Friday morning which is garbage pickup day.

There's two things I know they don't like ammonia and PineSol so if you sprinkle some in your garbage they'll usually leave it alone. That said my garbage can has teeth and claw marks in it from my previous attempts with bungee cords and what not. That just seemed to piss them off and make them all the more determined to scatter my garbage all to hell.

Blacks aren't so bad it's those big, bad, brown, bastards up North ya gotta worry about. They're carnivores. However as long as you make plenty of noise as you move along through the bush they'll pretty much stay clear of you.

Happens all the time here and ends like this, no harm no foul. Lots of wildlife trekkers have experienced this here. It happened to me once and my .303 was in my truck a mile away. I yelled and raised my arms and the bear fcked off like a scared rabbit.

http://uproxx.com/up/2014/06/two-runners-had-a-terrifying-encounter-with-a-black-bear-on-a-remote-trail-in-alberta/

·
NEVER SERIOUS
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Black bears visit us every Friday morning which is garbage pickup day.

There's two things I know they don't like ammonia and PineSol so if you sprinkle some in your garbage they'll usually leave it alone. That said my garbage can has teeth and claw marks in it from my previous attempts with bungee cords and what not. That just seemed to piss them off and make them all the more determined to scatter my garbage all to hell.

Blacks aren't so bad it's those big, bad, brown, bastards up North ya gotta worry about. They're carnivores. However as long as you make plenty of noise as you move along through the bush they'll pretty much stay clear of you.
Cougars scare the fck out of me and once while deer hunting (carrying my trusty WWII .303) I walked right by a cougar up in a tree and didn't notice it until I passed it and it jumped to another tree. Gun or not I wouldn't have a chance against those fckers walking through the woods cause they are so stealth and you would be dead so quick and silently you wouldn't know what hit you. They kill black bears like a house cat killing a mouse.

·
7,735 Posts
meh, the black bears I've run across (mostly in nor-cal) are cool. They don't want anything from you except easy food. Hang your food, secure your trash, and they just wander thru checking things out and will move along. That bear in the video was just curious.

The only upset bear I've ever seen was a mama with her cubs that I came across on a logging road. She was only pissed until I stopped my truck and waited till they crossed the road.

I'm more concerned with the raccoon along the coast (especially in camp grounds around abalone season). They'll walk right up to you and start going thru your shit like you're not even there. They've come inside RV's while several of us were inside. Hopped up on the counter, sniffed around, then just walked out and on to the next camp spot.

Don't fuck with the wild life, they won't fuck with you. Except mountain lions here in colorado, those bastards hunt YOU and will fuck you up quickly. Fuck those things.

·
NEVER SERIOUS
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
meh, the black bears I've run across (mostly in nor-cal) are cool. They don't want anything from you except easy food. Hang your food, secure your trash, and they just wander thru checking things out and will move along. That bear in the video was just curious.

The only upset bear I've ever seen was a mama with her cubs that I came across on a logging road. She was only pissed until I stopped my truck and waited till they crossed the road.

I'm more concerned with the raccoon along the coast (especially in camp grounds around abalone season). They'll walk right up to you and start going thru your shit like you're not even there. They've come inside RV's while several of us were inside. Hopped up on the counter, sniffed around, then just walked out and on to the next camp spot.

Don't fuck with the wild life, they won't fuck with you. Except mountain lions here in colorado, those bastards hunt YOU and will fuck you up quickly. Fuck those things.
I believe mountain lions and cougars are the same with a different name. Although I would rather bang a cougar than a mountain lion..just saying.:cool::):cool:

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
I know those are around too but I just haven't seen any yet. All the other stuff is around and I've seen them.
Damn ballsy coons used to come right in the pet door in my house in Los Gatos and start munching down the dog food with me sitting right there on the couch not five feet away. I'd yell at em and they'd skedaddle. Our old dog was so decreped he'd just sit there and look at em. They've got no chance with our current dog. He's got a lot more piss and vinegar in him but he doesn't know a coon can tear him a new ass if they're cornered.

I believe mountain lions and cougars are the same with a different name. Although I would rather bang a cougar than a mountain lion..just saying.:cool::):cool:

·
Registered
982 Posts
That video was pretty disturbing, as that was not typical black bear behavior. We have a lot of them around here and they all pretty much haul ass the other way when they see you; that said, while not common, there are some documented cases of black bears tracking and killing people here in the states.

I have never seen a black bear act aggressively, but I have been hunting and circle back around on my own trail and found that a black bear is trailing me, which will kind of make the little hairs on the back of your neck stand up for a while. I carry a .40 pistol with 16 rounds when ever I'm out in the woods or fishing, just in case, of course during hunting season I have my rifle.

I certainly would have fired a round into the ground next to that bear, just to see if I needed to put the rest into him.

·
NEVER SERIOUS
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That video was pretty disturbing, as that was not typical black bear behavior. We have a lot of them around here and they all pretty much haul ass the other way when they see you; that said, while not common, there are some documented cases of black bears tracking and killing people here in the states.

I have never seen a black bear act aggressively, but I have been hunting and circle back around on my own trail and found that a black bear is trailing me, which will kind of make the little hairs on the back of your neck stand up for a while. I carry a .40 pistol with 16 rounds when ever I'm out in the woods or fishing, just in case, of course during hunting season I have my rifle.

I certainly would have fired a round into the ground next to that bear, just to see if I needed to put the rest into him.
I am a live and let live kind of guy. I have encountered all kinds of bears and other wildlife in the wilderness unarmed my entire life and never been harmed. You are used to walking around armed and that's your security blanket, I choose to walk around the wilderness mostly unarmed (hunting season is different or when people are warning of aggressive/rabid wildlife then I will take the .303) and my lifelong experience and confidence of my safety (wilderness witt, lol) is my security blanket.
A cougar will stalk and kill you so stealthily if it chooses to that your gun wouldn't help you anyway. They jump out of a tree on to your back and bite right through your throat in a millisecond, you would never know what hit you or have a chance to shoot it (I am alone a lot in the bush). That's the reality and truth from my experience.
I am no tree hugger and value human life above all others but also realize a gun isn't the be all to end all out in the bush and I am not foolish enough to think I am immune from ALL wildlife just cause I am packing (that's a false sense of security to me and reality from my own personal experience). I am more afraid of human fcksticks armed in the wilderness than I am afraid of nature/wildlife. Drunk and/or drugged assholes firing off rounds randomly/carelessly in the wilderness are scarier to me than wildlife (again from experience).
Here more people spend time in true wilderness unarmed than some of you guys do in populated urban centers furthering my belief that human idiots/fcksticks are the more realistic threat. I have no beef with responsible gun owners (I'm one) but its the careless stunned fckers that worry me, especially when I am alone and out in the wild (armed or unarmed).

·
Registered
331 Posts
There was no need to shoot that bear, it was just curious and no threat unless you are an unexperienced trigger happy idiot who like s to kill for the sake of killing.:confused:
I think the dude was bear hunting anyways. Notice the bait barrel in the backround by the other bear.

·
NEVER SERIOUS
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think the dude was bear hunting anyways. Notice the bait barrel in the backround by the other bear.
I agree. Up here the locals bait bears so the citidiots can pay to come up and shoot them. Not sporting to me I would rather go old school hunting them but I don't care what other people do as long as it doesn't harm me. They just aren't the big scary animal they are made out to be by those who are not in the know. They are nothing special and ones that get close to humans should be offed in hunting season (they are easy pickings for those aforementioned citidiots who get a kick out of it - good for them).

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I guess we know the guy filming was the faster one.
You don't have to outrun the bear, just your buddy.

I've killed two bears. Both had lost their fear of humans. The most recent one was with an old recurve bow and that was a bad idea. Last week I had one go yogi bearing the cooler, but it was my dumbass fault for leaving it out. I was sleeping in the truck two feet away from the cooler with the window open, could have reached down and petted him. I hollered at him and he didn't even look up from the apple pie. I didn't shoot that one, but maybe I should have.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
Speaking of black bears, my little minature schnauzer treed one the other day. That little shit isn't afraid of anything and will chase anything that moves, deer, turkeys, bears whatever. I've taken to calling him Fearless Fritz now but sometimes I think he lacks common sense. That bear could have taken him out with one swat but at least he's fast and nimble. When he gets moving it's like a silver streak.

You don't have to outrun the bear, just your buddy.

I've killed two bears. Both had lost their fear of humans. The most recent one was with an old recurve bow and that was a bad idea. Last week I had one go yogi bearing the cooler, but it was my dumbass fault for leaving it out. I was sleeping in the truck two feet away from the cooler with the window open, could have reached down and petted him. I hollered at him and he didn't even look up from the apple pie. I didn't shoot that one, but maybe I should have.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts