TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off.

3.4L 1999 Auto Tranny 2WD

I drive it a bit hard. I use Mobil 1 5W-30.

So the change interval is around 5,000 miles for that oil. So the 5,000 mile mark comes around. I begin to drain the oil and its completely black! I was shocked. I guess I was thinking it wouldn't be so dark. The Air Filter was a little dirty but nothing noteable. Now a friend said that meant I'm running lean and the extra carbon is causing the oil to turn black. My gas mileage does suck its around 15 but then again I have a bedcage and 32's. My question's why does oil turn black and should it be that way at 5,000 miles?

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
401 Posts
You do replace the oil filter right? If not you need to replace the oil filter, without it, it is unable to extract carbon, acid and moisture from the oil which turns it black.

If so, just run a can of seafoam through the block when you change your oil the next time, it could be some sludge built up on the crank case.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
772 Posts
Factor said:
First off.

3.4L 1999 Auto Tranny 2WD

I drive it a bit hard. I use Mobil 1 5W-30.

So the change interval is around 5,000 miles for that oil. So the 5,000 mile mark comes around. I begin to drain the oil and its completely black! I was shocked. I guess I was thinking it wouldn't be so dark. The Air Filter was a little dirty but nothing noteable. Now a friend said that meant I'm running lean and the extra carbon is causing the oil to turn black. My gas mileage does suck its around 15 but then again I have a bedcage and 32's. My question's why does oil turn black and should it be that way at 5,000 miles?

Thanks.
Mine is dark too and always has been. I've never worried about it because color doesn't really have any relation to the condition of the oil. If you're concerned you could always do a "used oil analysis" (UOA).
 

·
I LIVE FOR THIS
Joined
·
1,700 Posts
KANEMAN23 said:
Mine is dark too and always has been. I've never worried about it because color doesn't really have any relation to the condition of the oil. If you're concerned you could always do a "used oil analysis" (UOA).
You hit the nail on the head.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,173 Posts
I got one for you, I have been driving for 25 years and changing oil in my family's vehicles longer than that, and I have never changed the oil in any vehicle that wasn't black coming out.

It is perfectly normal, just watch for water bubbles and metal shavings. Do an engine flush before you change the oil and you should be good to go.

BtW doing the engine flush prior to dropping the old oil will really cause the oil to get black
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,173 Posts
Dude! you just now figured that out? LOL

not many others older than I am, maybe those crusty butts; Grumpy, hytenor, Chris King and Dick Foster!

Actually shannon is older also, but not by much
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
793 Posts
Rebuilt98 said:
Dude...You're old! lol.
Heck, I've got 27 yrs driving under my stretched belt.
 

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
Joined
·
12,206 Posts
If you want to change the oil at that interval, I recomend using a extended oil filter from a Jeep Liberty. (Mobil 1 part number M1-209). This filter is the same diameter, same everything, but it is 1" longer. This adds about .5-.75 quarts of oil to your system. Now you have more oil, and more filter area. The result is a longer lasting oil...

I go 5,000 with a extended filter, and I wouldn't go a mile more...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,391 Posts
Stock02 said:
Heck, I've got 27 yrs driving under my stretched belt.
I got you both beat, this old goat has 34 years in the rear view. 36 if you count motorcycles :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok well thanks for all the help. I'll just keep an eye out for particles in the oil and making sure it doesn't smell too burnt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,892 Posts
start running some Marvalous Mystery oil in the gas tank once a month - keep carbon build up down.

Factor said:
First off.

3.4L 1999 Auto Tranny 2WD

I drive it a bit hard. I use Mobil 1 5W-30.

So the change interval is around 5,000 miles for that oil. So the 5,000 mile mark comes around. I begin to drain the oil and its completely black! I was shocked. I guess I was thinking it wouldn't be so dark. The Air Filter was a little dirty but nothing noteable. Now a friend said that meant I'm running lean and the extra carbon is causing the oil to turn black. My gas mileage does suck its around 15 but then again I have a bedcage and 32's. My question's why does oil turn black and should it be that way at 5,000 miles?

Thanks.
 

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
Joined
·
12,206 Posts
TBob said:
start running some Marvalous Mystery oil in the gas tank once a month - keep carbon build up down.
That stuff kicks ass! I use it on my dirtbike all the time, and it really helped reduce the wear on the valves.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top