TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So heres another tacoma ive been working on for the last couple weeks for a customer Matt http://ttora.com/forum/member.php?u=22486. Came in for a backhalf and 4link with some really nice parts going on it. The rear came in with deavers and an entire bedcage built by link motorsports. We were going to try to use it but with the extra storage areas and other parts that are going on the truck, it was easier to start fresh and not tear apart something already built. If anyones interested the backhalf is for sale http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2145706#post2145706

So it showed up and first thing was to chop it.

With a nice currie FF 35 spline axle, we will be making a beefy driveshaft and ditch the stock tacoma double cardan joint so different link geometry is being used than on our race truck. I wanted to keep the upper links long to keep the IC more consistent which will result in better handling, but i had to make more room for the upper link so i raised the passenger side of the floor.

Before

After

He also wanted a sub box hold down in case of a crash while playing, it wont bounce around.

Next was to tack some mounts on to locate the links where i had designed them to go in solidworks. The trailing arms were a set i made and had in the shop for mockup. The newer ones that will be run on the truck are getting cut soon. They are they same design, but much more trick looking side plates.

Next was to go up to full bump and start running tubes. He will have 5-6" of clearance at the lower link mount at full bump which results in 13.5" of uptravel. The rear tires are going to be setup like bj baldwins newest TT with a strapped in lower tire and spinner top tire.

I decided to cut the rear tube section i had made to put in a tube for the sway bar that will be on the truck (going through Cone Industries for the sway bar). The location will allow a 22-26" sway bar arm and will have multiple mounting locations for the heim to adjust the stiffness.

And heres where i am today. Ive started building a storage box that will have a front section to hold 2 optima batteries, a full fluids tray, and a 5lb powertank (oh ya the Currie has an ARB). The rear section will be open for tool bags and whatever else. The reason for enclosing everything is because it rains a lot in his area and mud can be very messy.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
so how much to weld a tongue on the back half and make it into a long travel trailer:D

Mike

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well thanks guys

so how much to weld a tongue on the back half and make it into a long travel trailer:D

Mike
a 30pacK? hahah

any close ups of the lover link pivots?
No close ups yet, Im still designing them. Right now its just a single plate with a hole drilled in it for mockup. I wanted to make sure everything cleared before making some nice boxed ones. I may start building them today when i get done with the spinner lock down

·
Registered
9 Posts
a little Long Travel trailer is a really cool idea...to bad I trailer my tacoma or I would probably convert my old bed and cage into a trailer to pull behind my taco.

Just wanted to say its been a pleasure working with Steve (Aka) SoCalMoto. He's been really good about listening to my ideas and requests an incorporating them into his own design for my truck. Also I live 20 hours away round trip, so it's really nice to be able to come on here and see the progress he is making.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got some more done. Pretty much finished up with the spinner lock down. I didnt want to make a mounting plate for the rim to sit on because they are hard to toss a tire up on top of and locate plus it would have been raised up which will get in the way of a cargo area if the top tire is removed. The spinner is two parts and it spins pretty easily and doesnt take much effort to get the sidewalls on the tire to smash down (and theyre 10ply sidewalls). I may toss in a delrin washer if painting the parts makes them harder to spin. Its a cone shape so the spinner helps to locate the wheel and holds it down tight. First spinner ive actually ever made, i usually just strap.

I got on the trailing arm frame mount today too. Its not finished yet as i am going to wrap the double plate edges to fill it in, then im going to add a bottom plate, and some gussets that will attach to the bottom of the frame rail. I should have finished pics of them tomorrow and start on the upper link mounts.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do the wheel weights counterbalance the missing lip on the rim? That's a good mounting idea, I dig it. Mounts look bombproof too.

Well thanks. The wheel weights were before the wheel broke. The race tires must be really unbalanced, or maybe they had a flat spot when we took them in . . idk.

Got the trailing arm mount welded together and started on the other one. Maybe ill tack weld them on the frame early next week.

And the reason i didnt get the other lower welded together was that i got side tracked and built the upper link mounts on the axle. There will be some more gusseting along the front of the axle too, but ill wait till i fully weld these guys on.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How did you, for lack of a better term, aim the upper mounts? I know this is opening up a can of worms, but is there some easy rule of thumb for setting everything up? Specifically upper link length effecting pinion angle through the travel range?
Just aiming the upper link mounts was easy. Just tack weld some mounts on the inside of the frame (or wherever your upper link will mount on the frame), then build the upper link mounts on the axle to point down the upper links.

Where to make the mounting points for the links gets way more complicated and takes a lot of tinkering around to adjust pinion change, antisquat, driveline plunge, and working all that around the vehicle and parts already on the truck. Its a lot easier to get very good measurements and just make all your measurements in relation to the trans output like bottom of the frame, top of the frame, where the back of the cab is, how high the cab is, and axle location. Then find all the measurements for the axle so you can find where the link mounts can attach and how high or low you can make everything in relation to the pinion.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Finally tacked the lower mounts onto the frame. I was able to cut one edge of the doubler plate that the rollcage is welded too and i will weld it all up so it should be very strong.

Also made the link mounts for the axle.

Ive got to pick up some more steel tomorrow and then i can get working on the shock mounts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Those are Socalmoto's 35" bfg projects for mockup. I'm gonna run 35" grabbers.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts
About this Discussion
87 Replies
30 Participants
SafetyDang
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing