TTORA Forum banner

61 - 80 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Changed plans slightly over the last year, but heres the start. Been waiting on drivetrain parts for a while, but they SHOULD be here very soon.

Specs so far:
Engine: LS3 - from 2012 camaro. Stock for now, will be built to 550-600hp later

Trans: 4L80e - built by Jakes Performance. Stage 5 (1500hp/1500ft-lbs street capable)

Tcase: Atlas II with 300m input/output

Front diff: Currie 9+ center section. ARB locker, 5.13 gears, 934 stubs

Axleshafts: RCV cvs and axelshafts

Hubs: Spidertrax ulimate unit bearings

Steering: Most likely Howe steering rack

Front suspension: Still being designed but will have 20in travel, 2.5cos, and 3.0bypasses.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I know the Trophy Diesels are both unreal in there own right, but this thing is going to be the most badass thing to leave your truck to date :cool:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Sweet. I'm real interested to see this worked out. I really like the RCVs, super high quality and great customer service. It's tuff working with the plunge though. The plunging 930's only plunge about an inch. So everything has to be lined up pretty good. But my setup plunges a lot and probably yours won't plunge as much.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Sweet. I'm real interested to see this worked out. I really like the RCVs, super high quality and great customer service. It's tuff working with the plunge though. The plunging 930's only plunge about an inch. So everything has to be lined up pretty good. But my setup plunges a lot and probably yours won't plunge as much.
Plunge should be a under 1/4" for 20" of wheel travel. Comp says 0.15 w/o steering and a total of 0.22 with full steering and suspension. I ALMOST went to a non plunging cv and just had them make long splines on the shaft to accommodate the plunge but honestly 30* of angle on the joint is plenty. RCV said 28 was very safe and 35 was possible with there plunging 934 so thats the route we went.

That 3rd member is massive! Do you know how much lower the bottom of it is going to sit compared to stock? I'm interested to see how the drive train is going to be setup
I can measure tomorrow. I still have the stock front diff in the shop

Few update pics of the CAD. Its getting pretty close to start cutting plate, tubing, and mounting parts. I am still trying to figure what rack i want to use. Its narrowed down to Howe, just trying to decide which one.....TT and the class 1 rack with pump and valve is EXPENSIVE so im looking at other options. Dont mind some of the interference parts/shocks they were only for quick mockup on some other parts.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
That 3rd member is massive! Do you know how much lower the bottom of it is going to sit compared to stock? I'm interested to see how the drive train is going to be setup
Finally measured today and ground clearance is actually the same or slightly less on the 9in. Reason? The yota stocker has a large flange to bolt the two halves together, the 9in has flat bottom using 3/16 or 1/4in plate with slight gap on the ring. How slight im not sure, but the two diffs are close from center of cv to bottom.

Exhaust through the frame? Brilliant idea! (dont worry, I am kidding)

Planning on 2x4" .25 wall stock for the front section of frame?
stock frame is 3x5 1/8 wall outer maybe 0.08" inner. New frame will be 2x3 3/16 wall. The roll cage will be connected front bumper to rear bumper so i dont need too much more strength out of the frame rail up front. I MAY go with 2x4 3/16 though.....only because i have 40ft sitting on the ground lol

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
And it begins! Deadline is very tight on this build (most likely impossible) so we'll see what we can knock out in the next 3-4weeks.

New trans crossmember. The driver side is lower to protect the new atlas tcase

Some major stuffage!!

Decided on welding in the diff case. Theres no real reason to ever remove it. All the gears, bearings, stub axle, etc all pull out (nothing is pressed in). Welding it in will help strengthen the front of the chassis and with the diff so close to the engine we dont want any movement.

·
Registered
558 Posts
You can get it done, we built T.J's Koh racer in 14 days and the chassis was just tacked together when he picked it up. Even made it to the race.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
You can get it done, we built T.J's Koh racer in 14 days and the chassis was just tacked together when he picked it up. Even made it to the race.
Hopefully!! There are only 2 of us working at the shop and we still have to do small side projects (biz is biz). I do think we can get the front together, its just all the wiring, missing engine parts, and plumbing that is a real concern. We'll all know whether this is going to work out if in 2weeks we're onto wiring and plumbing.

·
Registered
261 Posts
So is RCV making you a Tacoma based stub axle that 934 CV's bolt to? 943's on both the diff and spindle sides, right?

Out of curiosity, how wide is it to the outside of the new front frame rails? Thats the sucky thing about those damn DOHC engines...

Kickass build. Good to see some LT 4wd action on here.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
So is RCV making you a Tacoma based stub axle that 934 CV's bolt to? 943's on both the diff and spindle sides, right?
ONLY thing tacoma about this truck now is the cab and the 4ft section of frame under the cab. All power, drivetrain, hubs, etc is aftermarket. CVs are 934 inners and d60 equivalent outers.

Out of curiosity, how wide is it to the outside of the new front frame rails?
19in

Thats the sucky thing about those damn DOHC engines...
??

·
Registered
261 Posts
I was only saying DOHC, well v-block DOHC engines tend to be wide because of the heads.

And 19" is pretty narrow, well for a stock vehicle it is. Which, as you said, it is far from.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Well, not going to make the deadline. The race we were aiming for got cancelled so the time frame has been expanded. We now have till early/mid Apr. Im picking up the bypasses and Howe TT rack this weekend at the mint. I should also have the trans cooler and radiator by Tues.

Suspension is on and cycling. No pics with the cvs in, but the suspension cycles 20in at the hub with cvs still spinning.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Some more progress. Picked up some parts from the Mint.

Since we had such a beefy rack from Howe, we had to make a very beefy rack mount

And good ol 20in of 4wd travel

And first time ive used these bungs. They are a little oddball sized and need tubing 1 3/8 and 1 5/8? So did my thing with the lathe and machined the tubes to work out perfect.

61 - 80 of 88 Posts
About this Discussion
87 Replies
30 Participants
SafetyDang
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing