·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Projector lamps...
have painted black background... but clear lenses.

No sure whom make a good one...

but seen them on ebay... and caught my eye

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i want to stick with stock bulbs. i just wish the lens spray/film wasnt so comprimising on the brightness. ive seen someone spray the housing on their rears but thats a different story than the front.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
hmm, think about it, folks..."blacked out lights" is an oxymoron.

·
Registered
252 Posts
It's a dumb idea if you don't have projectors, loss of brightness like you said. If you don't care about the brightness get some spray paint, an oven and some silicone. Tuner owners do this every day. If I had a quarter for every time my roommate sticks his WRX headlights in the over, well I'd have about a $1.50.

I know you said you wanted to keep the stock headlights but... last time I checked you can't buy projector housings for the 01-04 Tacoma headlight. Unless you want to dish out $1,400 to the only company that sells them. Yes, I said $1,400. If you have a 98-00 it's a different story. Things might have changed, do a Google search.

Thunder One did a good job with his projector write-up. Give it a look, it's useful if you want to learn how to take your headlights apart too. Projector Install

·
Registered
252 Posts
So my best bet would be to just get the dark chrome backing like I originally posted?
If you can't live without black headlight housings buy them. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to take apart headlights in an oven, use some tape, spray paint and then slap them back together. If you aren't confident in your abilities or don't want to ruin your stock $200 a piece headlight assemblies then buy the ones you're looking at online. Don't be surprised if they suck. I bought a set of aftermarket headlights once and they threw light all over the place. They were about $120 a piece too, returned them and bought new OEM ones.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Iht the oven mod was just for the lenses. Not the actual housing
You need to take off the lenses to paint the housing! :doh:
All I'm saying is you can spend under $25 and paint the lenses black yourself or spend over $100 for the ones you are looking at.

Thought I was being clear, guess not..

1. Take the lenses off (put them in the oven to heat the adhesive)
2. Pry lens off housing
3. Tape off areas you don't want black
4. Spay paint areas you do want black
5. Allow paint to dry
6. Peel tape off
8. Put head lights back together with new adhesive

Your turn signals will still be orange though.

O and found a similar pair for $120... they are even cheaper on Ebay:
Blacked 01-04 Tacoma corner and headlight set

·
Registered
252 Posts
Okay, I think we're finally on the same page haha.

I have never seen headlight lenses painted. Taillights yes.
The ones you posted earlier have clear lenses and the housing is painted or the housing is black plastic where the chrome like plastic should be. I guarantee it. Take another look. My buddy painted the housings on his WRX and they look almost the same, they actually came out really nice. If you're willing to sacrifice some some brightness either go the cheap route and paint your housings or spend some extra cash and buy the headlight assemblies.

·
Registered
160 Posts
MHT actually makes a lens paint. Made for lights...not sure if that's what you're looking for. Hell just paint it all black with some krylon and buy some REALLY big driving lamps. Mount them ALLLLLLL over the truck....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts