TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after adding functional items to the truck(lift, armor, winch) i went and did a bit of BLING. I did not add this to sink the truck, i just think these thing look cool as hell. While i was at it though, a mean green alternator went under the hood also, so i did end up w/ some functional product too.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Nice work C! Looks good!!

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Careful with that bumper....don't want it to come crashing through your grill.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Snorkel aint bling its equipment for crossing deep water.

PRODUCT TEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When & where????????????????????????????????????????:p

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
that does look cool.

how much was the shipping on the alternator?

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i think it was like 20 or 30 claims. i guess the alternator has a bit of weight to it.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oh the skid is sitting in the yard. i had it off from my last oil change and haven't put it on since. right b/f gray rock it will go on.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Damn Fine Taco !
... think that snorkle will give you some ram-air effect at highway speeds? ;)

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
ok i was thinking about this the other day when it was raining. if you have a snorkel, wouldnt you get water in in when it rains, and the water would be sucked into the air intake?

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well, you point about the rain coming into the intake when it rains is probably true. A ton of people run these and I haven't read about anyone having problems w/ this type of problem.

One thing to look at my situation, i had to trim a bit of my fenders and this allowed of water to be spun up into the fender when driving in the rain. If you look at my intake, there was a ton of muddy water already inside the intake, it just never got past the filter. With the snorkel now i know that water will not be spun into the intake any more. This reassurance a big for me b/c downtown the route i take when it rains has backed up areas and my passenger side is always in 3-4inches little lakes along the curb.

Dont get me wrong, i know water will still come into the inlet, but I don't think i will worry about it ever.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks.

ram-air effect probably, cool air higher up--probably, hp gain will be lost by aerodynamic differences. oh well..

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
looks nice christain. how much did the mean green set you back? and what's the power output?
-daniel

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the alternator set me back some bones! probably 400 after shipping, but this was a direct bolt on and now i have a back up unit and that alone is probably the main reason for this route.

The alternator specs "Another is the heat resistant, multi-function integrated regulator which continues to operate even at extreme temperatures. The Mean Green alternators put out 100 amps at idle and between 140 amps and 200 amps at RPM's depending on application." this is off of lc's site.

·
Registered
110 Posts
dont a lot of people just simpley turn the top of the snorkle so rain doesnt get in on the highway? It appears that the top of that snorkle can swivle. Would obviously kill any ram effect, but would solve the water problem on the interstate.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I think the bends in the snorkel tube negate any ram effect to start with.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
oh i could turn the top of the snorkel around, but don't have the desire to mess w/ it at all. serious, the stock intake showed water/mud in it from just normal driving/offroading. a bit of rain will do nothing.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts