TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has bugged me for 7 years. One day I jumped in my 2001 3.4L xtra cab Tacoma and started it up and had a blinking cruise light (malfunction indication). It has never gone away.
Everything works as it should. Sets, cancels, goes up and down 1 mph with the press up or down on the stalk, won’t engage until about 25 mph, cancels when I hit the brake, shuts off of its too steep an incline... all normal. It doesn’t through a code on the scan tools I have. (3 scan tools and a one cheap diagnostic code reader). I’ve selected “erase codes”, still blinking. I’ve disconnected the battery and waited an hour and reconnected it, still there. I’ve jumpered the Te and E1 (can’t remener if these are the correct two or not, but if it’s not I actually junpered the ones in the FSM for diagnotics). No code but still flashing.
I thought that I may have accidentally somehow triggered the diagnostic mode where “normal” means 1.5 second consistant blinks. I tried jumpering it and doing the reset on the stalk (pulling stock forward while pressing the on/off button five times), and it stopped blinking. Then I turned the key to “off”, then back to “on” and it immediately started blinking again. Reset it again, and it did the same thing.
I will say, just one time the cruise cut out on me on a really hot day, and I managed to get a code from jumpering it. It said “magnetic actuator circuit”. Everything still worked perfect before and after that one day about two years ago and have never had code pop up in the cruise diagnostic ever again, but still have that blinking cruise light.
I have scanners, a FSM, a chilton manual, tried jumper diagnostics... and after years I still can’t get it to stop. I’ve been working on cars (oil changes to head gasket repairs, no transmissions) as a hobby and extra income for 16 years.
Anybody else have this issue or any ideas? A cruise control that works absolutely fine, just the cruise indicator light won’t ever stop blinking. Otherwise it’s electrical tape over the light in the instrument panel.

I’ve also checked the connection to the cruise ecm in the passenger kick panel, and that connection to the Above the glove box in the center dashboard.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Easy things to check are fuses, switches and grounds. Doubtful that will help your situation.
I appreciate any information, no matter how simple or technically difficult it may be. I’ve checked the fuses, switches, relays, and grounds. I’ve even sprayed electrical contact cleaner on the grounds to the engine and the wire connections themselves.
Thee was one time I checked the CC actuator and got a reading that was 0.02V under the FSM specifications, but that was just that one time.
I mean I’ll listen to voodoo witchdoctors at this point. Thank you for your response, I appreciate any and all comments, questions, and advise. The only think that I can think of that may or may not be possible.... is that CC ECM keeps self-setting itself to diagnostic mode somehow every time. Its the exact same blinks as diagnostic mode. Everything works perfectly fine it’s just like Chinese water drop torture with the flashing cruise indicator.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts