TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, what the hell is going on?

I built a rear bumper for my truck a few weeks ago and just got around to handling the liscense plate. Picked up a pilot, 12V LED liscense plate light and went to install it today. When I was trying to finish up tonight, all I had left was wiring. I cut off one of the old liscense plate lights and splice the wires in with the LED. Turn on the lights to test it out and I blew the brake light fuse and possibly the driving lamp fuse. Replace the brake light (15a) fuse and parking lamp (10a) fuses and get back to work, figured I might have had them wired backwards or something (I don't know shit about electronics).

Swap the wires and brake lights go out again, but parking lights are still working.

What the hell am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Someones got to know this shit
LED lights are 'Light Emitting Diodes'... you may have heard this already... a DIODE is an electronic component..... connected with polarity one way, electricity flows through the unit IE: A DIRECT SHORT (blowing fuses & such). Polarity reversed (switching the wires on the LED light assembly) should draw very little current, and make the thing light up. More expensive LED lamp assembly's handle this internally so you can connect the polarity either way without hassle, but some lamps don't, and unless they color code the wires, using a test meter is the only way know which way to connect the wires.

simply put, switching the wires on your LED lamp unit from the first way you had it, should solve your problem.... unless you've created other issues along the way.....?

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've tried switching, and I can't get power to the LED's, or atleast they aren;t turning on. Only thing I could think of is that maybe the liscense plate lights arent supplying enough power, so I'm going to try and tap into the parking lights on the tail lights. If that doesn't work, I'm duct taping the light to a brick and chucking it through AutoZone's front window tonight.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright, I tied in the black wire to the ground on the parking light, and the red on the 12V source, nothing, even when my voltmeter is reading 11.88V. It's the shitty LED that doesn't work. I'm going to hunt for a brick...

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Only thing I could think of is that maybe the liscense plate lights arent supplying enough power, so I'm going to try and tap into the parking lights on the tail lights.

one of the features of LED's is that they draw a lot LESS power than ordinary light bulbs... and consequently run cooler...

Got Brick?

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Well shiat... I'm gonna go wire mine up tomorrow and see if I have similar issues... I was holding off on doing that for other reasons... But now you have my interest...

But according to the instructions... One wire goes to a 12v power source... the other goes to a ground...

Find the hot lead of the two wires on the OEM loom... wire to that... then ground to the chassis and see what happens...

Unless you've already fried the led's

I'm stumped as why the brake light circuit would blow... I thought those LP lights were on the parking circuit... ?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know it says to hook the black to a ground, but I thought the negative on the light circuit would work just fine. I closed up shop for the night and packaged my painted light back up to take it back to vatozone tomorrow, god help the kid that has a problem with my return in the morning...

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
I know it says to hook the black to a ground, but I thought the negative on the light circuit would work just fine. I closed up shop for the night and packaged my painted light back up to take it back to vatozone tomorrow, god help the kid that has a problem with my return in the morning...
Well shiat... You give up too easily...

I'll have mine wired by noon tomorrow... I have a spare incase I destroy the first one... LOL

Yeah I'd have thought the same thing on the wiring... that on the OEM loom one wire was power and the other was common... Hmmm...

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Picked up another one today. I guess I'll try grounding it to the frame or something first and see if it works.

Does it need to be grounded really? Or is just hooking it up to the negative fine?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
First one was just a piece of shit, so now I'm pissed! I missed out on 6th st. last night because of that fucking light.

Anyway Dell, picking up 2 was probably a good idea. I might pick up a spare incase this one fails too or I might just get some of those light n' bolts.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Picked up another one today. I guess I'll try grounding it to the frame or something first and see if it works.

Does it need to be grounded really? Or is just hooking it up to the negative fine?
Mines done... works perfectly... well I'll take a pic when it's dark so I can see if it's effective...

Black wire to the white w/blk stripe... Red to Green... Do not ground to the chassis...

The other side... I just heat shrank them and tied them outta the way for the time being...

Sure you didn't mistakenly cut through both wires at the same time with the power to them... ?.. That'd do it...

Yer second attempt should fair better... I'll post some pics in a bit...

And yeah I bought two... simply because I liked the design and realize the led's won't be replaceable in the unit... And also because if it wasn't bright enough then I will run the other one facing up from the bottom... I like to keep law enforcement free to look for other bad guys ;) ...

Edited... Here's the proof the shiat works... when done correctly...

Seems to light up enough to be legal... I may add the lower one later... Just to see how it looks...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts