TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got a buddy with an '86 runner and was told the bottom end needs rebuilding.
he is still waiting for the dealership quote and is looking for other options in the mean time.
should he have the peace of mind of the dealership doing the work and paying mucho dinero for it?
engine swap?
any reccommendations on a trustworthy mechanic willing to help a brother out?
money is an issue though he knows he has to pay for it.
it is his daily driver though he can be without it for a while.
any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Mine cost ~$600. That included:
Engine Kit,
Bore & Hone
Ground the Crank.
I assembled it myself. It only took about 2 hours.

BTW, these have floating wrist pins, so you can put the pistons on the connecting rods yourself.

I used Area Auto for the machine work.This was a few months ago.

The head is newer and I did not rebuild it. So that is an additional cost not included in the above figure.

$5200...WOW. I could do it for half that and still make a "KILLIN".

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I'm sure that is not a rebuild, new shortblock. Your encouraged to not rebuild whenever possible due to stall down time.

Gun Automotive (machine shop) does a decent rebuild job on the toyota product.

If your spending more then 2500, it is really 2or3RZ time.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the replies.
looks like we need to do this ourselves though not a project either of us have taken on before and i know he wants the confidence of it getting done right.
anyone want to lend a hand? the truck will most likely be in my garage in broomfield and we can work out a deal to make it worth your while.

·
Registered
494 Posts
thats who did the machine work on my rte did very good work and i still havent managed to blow it up yet

im a former ase tech and we could have the motor on the ground and ready to go to the shop in a matter of an evening.............im in north broomfield 136th and i-25

1 - 9 of 9 Posts