TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Both of my upper ball joints (Stock) are leaking grease and making noise. I'm assuming I've messed em up. I'm running a 3 inch hoe lift in the front which probably did it along with some "spirited" driving off road. Anyway, is there a chance that these things could fail while driving on the road causing me to lose steering control? I'm about to head off on a 2000 mile trip and don't have time to get replacements before I leave...

Advice please...

·
Not really here...
3,013 Posts
For your own safety and the safety of the thousands of other motorists you'll encounter over the course of that 2000 mile road trip, GET THEM REPLACED!!

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
The manure-facturers all warn against this, and the whole cv joint failure thing. Just plan on servicing them as necessary, or get the arms that have better angles on them -ie chaos/ camburg. And, somewhere there is a shop with the bad to the bone 930 cv's that can handle it all, too. A bad ball joint is just that. BAD. Replace immediately. Who knows how close to dying it is. And all you thought you broke was your truck. Turns out, like the rest of us, you are breaking your wallet, too. Good luck, and enjoy your vacation.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
It all depends on how much grease and how long, a small leak isnt going to fail, see if their is play first you could just needs new boots (not uncommon).

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I just noticed that the tips of the upper A arms are moist. I am assuming that it is the grease from the ball joint. How can I tell if I need a new ball joint boot or if I need a new ball joint? There is no noticable play in either front wheel with aggressinve shaking back and forth...

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
It may just be the boot is sick. With the truck up on it's frame, to unload the upper arms, shove em around a bit. If they are pretty solid, the boot is over playing with you. If other stuff moves, the other stuff is over you, too. Try shoving in and up. as well as at angles...you are already on the right track. Sounds like maybe just boots.

·
Registered
282 Posts
rojodiablo said:
It may just be the boot is sick. With the truck up on it's frame, to unload the upper arms, shove em around a bit. If they are pretty solid, the boot is over playing with you. If other stuff moves, the other stuff is over you, too. Try shoving in and up. as well as at angles...
WTF are you saying? Typing drunk is not a good thing. Can you use at least use some proper english grammer, so others can understand what the hell you're talking about? BTW, have you ever worked on a truck?

·
Not really here...
3,013 Posts
The Professor™ said:
WTF are you saying? Typing drunk is not a good thing. Can you use at least some proper english grammer, so others can understand what the hell you're talking about? BTW, have you ever worked on a truck?
Dude brah, bonzin' SoCal hipster doofus lingo yo. The shocks is mad rad when they flossin' skilly twizted barney's on the halfshell. Oh wait, we're talking ball jeezies. They're over you and you're over 'em when you skeedobbin' on the robin in da hobgoblin. Cuz it's all about dem shibbies on da slibby swaw. N'aw meen?

·
Ban Count: 12
1,815 Posts
seth_js said:
If you are running coilovers at like 2.5" or 3", about how many miles should you expect to get out of the stock upper ball joints? Should I just go ahead and replace the arms/joints now?
Seth, 2.5" - 3" of lift is nothing to worry about, depending on what you do off road. If you see a lot of grease or hear popping on turns or bumps, start doing some checks. Lift one of the front tires off the ground, grab it at 6 and 12 (top and bottom), and shake. If it moves, you should probably look into replacing the ball joints.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
No, not at all. I think almost ANY company selling their parts to the truck industry is under the legal thumb, and, like gun builders, or manure-facturers, there aren't any BAD ones, or unsafe ones so long as they are used as they were designed. So, lighten up, check your GRAMMAR... not grammer, and save a tree hugger, and step on a "professor" who can't speil currectly ither.

·
Registered
282 Posts
rojodiablo said:
No, not at all. I think almost ANY company selling their parts to the truck industry is under the legal thumb, and, like gun builders, or manure-facturers, there aren't any BAD ones, or unsafe ones so long as they are used as they were designed. So, lighten up, check your GRAMMAR... not grammer, and save a tree hugger, and step on a "professor" who can't speil currectly ither.
Listen rojobyproductofincestdiablo,
Excuse the hell out of me for not spell checking. I can't be perfect all the time. At least I made it so any idiot can understand what I'm saying. Now, go play hide and go fuck yourself, you silly tool.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts