TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wasn't really sure of a good place to post this, so Newbie folder it is.

I have a 10' Jon boat (flat bottom, square bow/stern). Obvious it hangs out the back of my Tacoma's bed a few feet. I'm going to be going camping in a few weeks, and I'm trying to deside whether it's better to have the boat in facing up or down. Mostly for a gasmileage standpoint. I'm too cheap to get a rack installed to have the boat up high, and can't build my own unless I do it with 2x4s or something.

I attached a very professional looking sketch of the two options I'm considering.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I woul dsay option A as well. That thing will be hanging 4 feet wont it? Make sure it is in there good, I have always had to strap to the roof with canoes and such because the bed just isnt long enough.

·
Registered
455 Posts
it can be done!

i bought a bed extender for about $100 and it is much safer then just letting them hang out the end of the bed. of course my kayak is 17 feet long

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Dang, I guess as long as it is marked you are good to go. I just dont trust that though.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
i didn't trust it either, but i cut through the air like a ot knife through butter :lmao: Got 35 MPG too!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Actually if the boats 10 feet, it should only hang out of a 6 foot bed 3 feet because with the tailgate down the bed will be 7 feet. Thats not bad at all, Ive had boats in my bed like that but I used option B. Then again, I wasnt on the highway. Option A would be ideal if you could get things under it and made sure they didnt slide out and off the gate. I am actually almost sure that in PA the limit before you need a flag is 3 feet so thats really not bad at all. I would just use good ratchet straps and not bungees.

·
Registered
455 Posts
yeah i drove from orlando to tampa and back and it didnt budge, i have like 6 ratchet straps and it is tied into the tow hitch

·
Registered
455 Posts
holy shit dude is that even legal on the road?!
yeah i drove from orlando to tampa and back and it didnt budge, i have like 6 ratchet straps and it is tied into the tow hitch

·
Registered
741 Posts
can't wait, mom says i can't fish the mouth anymore cause of billy... weak, , damnit mom, i'm 24!:lmao:

eeling is WAYYYYY more dangerous then netting, or even dipping...

once you get out on that spit that is under water, you are just asking to be washed out... i feel bad for billy, that is how Rods brother went as well.

Austin

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
eeling is WAYYYYY more dangerous then netting, or even dipping...

once you get out on that spit that is under water, you are just asking to be washed out... i feel bad for billy, that is how Rods brother went as well.

Austin
no no, i ain't talkin bout nettin, i'm talkin bout when i fish white man style right there at the lips, kastmasters and driftin....

·
Registered
779 Posts
Wasn't really sure of a good place to post this, so Newbie folder it is.

I have a 10' Jon boat (flat bottom, square bow/stern). Obvious it hangs out the back of my Tacoma's bed a few feet. I'm going to be going camping in a few weeks, and I'm trying to deside whether it's better to have the boat in facing up or down. Mostly for a gasmileage standpoint. I'm too cheap to get a rack installed to have the boat up high, and can't build my own unless I do it with 2x4s or something.

I attached a very professional looking sketch of the two options I'm considering.
face down with lots of orange flag... IMO

it can be done!

i bought a bed extender for about $100 and it is much safer then just letting them hang out the end of the bed. of course my kayak is 17 feet long
holy shit dude...rediculous
:eek:
i didn't trust it either, but i cut through the air like a ot knife through butter :lmao: Got 35 MPG too!
35 MPG !?!?! :confused:

ahh multi quote :D

·
Registered
779 Posts
lol, mini joke....;)

i think i was pushin at least 40 MPG...
comprende... still in the works for a sacastic smiley... (we really need one) you must have had the tornado fuel saver in that rig pushin 40 mpg... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
629 Posts
x100 on the bed extender! Harbor Freight...($19) on sale.;)
You can modify it, add pads whatever. It make a great place to secure your boat or kayaks.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts