TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a few questions, (I have searched and found numerous websites just want a little more reinsurance)
How much do I cut out to be able to fit a double cab soft topper on it.
I've read that 12-13 inches is normal. But a stock ext cab bed is 72 inches (6ft) and a stock double cab bed is 65 inches (5ft 5") so that's a difference of 7 inches. But all the websites I've read it says 13" will make it the same size as a double cab bed.

Just want to make sure I can fit a topper on it if I ever decide to put one on, before I start :saw: and :welder:

BTW these are the websites I'll most likely be using
http://www.atarmor.com/bedbob.htm
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2104727&highlight=bobbed+bed#post2104727

thanks, Jon

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
from what i remember, 13" will get you to match the double cab length. But practically you can only do 12" because of the shackles location on the frame. That is unless youre ok with the frame sticking an inch out past your bed. Im not 100% sure on any of my statements but thats what I remember from discussions with people who have done it. better wait till someone who knows what they are talking about to reply before you start cutting though haha

·
20,355 Posts
Your best bet is gonna be to get the mounting dimensions of the topper you r gonna want to run and make sure you match that, but as jay stated I think the shackles get in the way

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
At 13" your shackles and frame will hang out behind the tailgate. At 12" my tail gate ended up dead nuts above the shackle mount on the frame. If you run a double cab topper the gaps at the front are going to be horrid and the top part of the topper is going to rub on the back of your cab. The back of a double cab has a more rounded shape towards the top than an ext cab or reg cab. If you really want a topper then you should look into a soft top. The other option (dependent on how the side windows mount in your current topper) is to chop your topper down. It would be pretty easy to do. Also at 13" you're going to lose both your rear bed mounts and have to rework them to get the bed secured back to the frame. This would be a huge pain in the rear of the truck.

To retain the body lines you're going to need to cut out a notch around the body line on the top half of the bed. Make a cardboard or paperboard template to work with and outline it onto the bed with sharpie before making any cuts. I use a cutoff wheel on the whole outer skin and a sawzall across the top c channel section of the bed and across the floor.

For the rear once its bobbed pickup a piece of 2x3 1/4wall steel and cut it to fight tight between the c channel in the frame. Then weld it in place. It took a shit load of pursuasion to get my cross member to fit in there but it changed the whole feel of the rear of the truck. Also if you wanna go the extra step you can french in the back of the shackle mounts so they aren't hanging out like a sore thumb.

If you need help I may be available to lend a hand, but it depends on when. I've got a lot going on the next few weeks trying to get ready for az. Shoot me a pm with any other questions and what not.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep that's what waiting for

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
Also I forgot in my last post.

Keep the bottom corners for sure, the lower body line will be off by about 1/4 inch but after some love and a little mud it blends together great and has a nice finish to it. The lower will take some patience with a hammer and dolly for some metal shaping to get the wrap right.

Some people use a filler piece out of the removed section of bed and plug (spot) weld it behind the bedsides and under the floor pan so they have more to weld to. I have personally never done it this way but would like to try doing it that way on the next bed I do. Its not necessary to do it but it would make welding easier.

Pickup some single part seam sealer from an autobody paint supply store and coat the back sides of the welds with it to keep it from rusting. You'll likely need 2 tubes to get a good thick coating on everything. I did not do this when I originally did my bed and now after 3 years the mud is starting to crack from water soaking through from the inside out.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya for sure it sounds like I'll be getting a hold of you (^^) when I do this

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So going out tomorrow and buying a welder so very soon this will be happening my truck will be stubby can't wait

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I personally think 12inches out of the bed makes it look proportionate, not quite stubby lol.
Well not compared to yours, to yours it'll still be a long bed :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts