TTORA Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have searched for the last couple of hours and only found round about references to my question. Sorry so long but want to answer as much as possible up front.

I have been in the camp of body lifts are bad for as long as I can remember, but Tacos are a little harder to lift IMO than the previous yotas I had. I am in the proccess of changing my set up, and I want to run 33'sx 11.5(12.5)s or equivelent. And I have already gotten my CO 2.5 and Upper control arms both Camburg. I am getting ready to order a custom set of Alcans specs to what I am trying to achieve. I hunt and fish as a lifestyle, and my Taco needs improvement over what I have done already. I tow once in awhile and haul stuff in my bed regularly(200+lbs).Oh as for wheels I am trying to track down LC so this will help getting bigger brakes also. And 16" ers have bigger snow tires available(I live in Icy area).

I live in the North East which is frost heaves 6 months a year with major potholed, dirt, logging, winding roads year round. So I want a higher speed set up for my DD. I see a LT as over kill so I want a middle ground if there is one. My rear end walks hard at the first sign of wash board thanks to AAL's and spent shocks ( going Alcans better shocks). Front is ok with my tundra spring set up but doing 50+ mph on fire/ logging roads isnt that great.

Well if you have read this far you may now get to my Question??. My Camburgs I figure I will set at 2" and about the same with the alcans....which leave me at only 2 " of lift not enough for 33's

So is a 1" or so body lift all that bad? I will be going (hopefully) faster on a few of these roads up near hunting camp and they can get knarly so if a do maybe catch a wee bit of air would I be in danger with said Body lift?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Wow lots of questions, or im high. But anyways, as far as i see 1 inch lift isnt bad at all. Its when you go higher things get ugly. plus im thinking you can clock your case with a 1" lift:)

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
1 inch BL won't hurt anything.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
clocking the transfer case 1" is it worth the time and expense?

My concern with the Body lift is mostly from I dont see any of the desert runners with any in their sigs, so I wondered if a bl even that small would tear up body mounts. But if not woot. But dang I still dont think 3" of total lift is gonna get me 33's :mad:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow lots of questions, or im high. But anyways, as far as i see 1 inch lift isnt bad at all. Its when you go higher things get ugly. plus im thinking you can clock your case with a 1" lift:)
Your high I count 2 actual questions:xsmokin1:

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
clocking the transfer case 1" is it worth the time and expense?

My concern with the Body lift is mostly from I dont see any of the desert runners with any in their sigs, so I wondered if a bl even that small would tear up body mounts. But if not woot. But dang I still dont think 3" of total lift is gonna get me 33's :mad:
Desert runners typically mod/cut the fenders for clearance. They don't use body lifts for the same reason that peeps on this site don't use them. One of the biggest reasons is the higher center of gravity. I know what you are thinking, the suspension lift equals higher CG and you are right. But now add a BL to that, but leave the vehicles roll center in the same place and what do you get? A higher chance of rollover.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
If I understand what your asking is:
You want the suspension travel and ride of a prerunner w/ the load carrying capacity of a 4X4 suspension lifted?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I understand what your asking is:
You want the suspension travel and ride of a prerunner w/ the load carrying capacity of a 4X4 suspension lifted?
YES of course :D

I realize I cant have my cake and so on but I am trying to set my rig up for DD duty that can handle the rough roads I expirence here at higher speeds. This is a DD period. For serious off roading I will build another fj40 or I know this one is off because of size a FJ 60.

Just wanna dial a happy middle ground in there. Camp requires 4x4 weather here requires it also. But 80% of my driving is asphalt although bumpy horrible asphalt. Hell camp is 2 1/2 hours drive but only 100 miles on a sunny day from me. 45 minutes of that commute is dirt roads crossing mountains. Then gettings to camp from main roads is a whole new drive. In bad weather it took me almost 6 hours once....snow and ice can slow you way down even in 4 wheel with snow tires....not to mention visability.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
My knowledge of suspension is limited for Taco's? I haven't had to change mine yet. From what I have read on this site a coilover with 0-3 " of lift set at 2" is desent. A 1" body life is OK. SAW's or Hoe's are about the best overall up front. They are on the expensive side, But damn well worth it in the long run. For rears it's more personal preference. No real winner? I know I didn't answer your question, but this is out of my league. The reason I answered you the first time is that you question was kind of vege to the average responder. I was hoping for the Pro's to churp in.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have the saws already, well Camburg 2.5's and the Camburgs Upper Control arms. I would like a pro to chime in also but your post does call out my obvious wanting it all (get me a Dr. Pepper too).

A body lift is not my ideal but I want those bigger tires...wider, more ground clearance and the babes love them:D . Only down side other than figureing how to get them in there is having to re gear which I dont mind other than cost.

I laugh everytime I read some one posting to search ....as many threads have so much conflicting info or opinion attached to what is believed to be fact leaves many of us in the dark of what actually works and doesnt. I read some guys 2.5 " lift gets 33" tires in there and other posts say you need 5". Then comes what rubs and what doesnt. Then throw in the flamming in those posts it gets lost rather fast.

But ty for the help I need it from anyone who wants to:kewl:

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I have an 05 taco, so I can't give you the difinitive answers that you are looking for regarding a 98. I can say this: my hoes ride great at 2.5 lift, the Dakars and bil 5150's I have in the back ride good, work great and haul a load of gear, I clear 33 inch tires, but have to mod my front body mount for full lock and stuff, so it doesn't rub. I didn't have to re-gear for the 33's, but then again I have the 4.0 V6. There are a lot of folks in this forum that can answer your Q's regarding that year truck. Wish I could help you more.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
PS. I think the reason peeps get flamed is that they typically don't search. They sit on their fat, lazy asses and let the others do the work for them. Then there are the newbs who really don't know how to use this site, so they post up the most stupid Q's on the planet, instead of asking the mods to help them along, or they post before fully reading all of the info regarding the site. So basically they ask and re-ask Q's that have been beaten to death in here and then wonder why the vets get bent. I personally try to help anyone that I can, but must admit that I get my BVD's in a freekin wad from time to time also. The one's that bug me the most are the peeps who ask a question, or ask for help, then ignore good solid advice. Oh well, no sense crying in my beer:xbeer3: No insult intended. I hope you get the info that you need. There are plenty of talented folks on this site.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I run 33's with about 2" of lift, but I beat the crap out of my pinch weld. It does rub at full lock, but I still have some down travel....

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I run 33's with about 2" of lift, but I beat the crap out of my pinch weld. It does rub at full lock, but I still have some down travel....
12.5's? or 16" equivalent. I wont mind beating pinch down or even a little cutting if I can stuff those bad boys:D

·
Registered
162 Posts
285/75/16's. Had to bust out the sledge for the fenderwall, but no rub when not turned. Tires do rub the frame, but I have 4.5" backspacing. A bit less would fix that.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
So is a 1" or so body lift all that bad? I will be going (hopefully) faster on a few of these roads up near hunting camp and they can get knarly so if a do maybe catch a wee bit of air would I be in danger with said Body lift?
Upgrade the hardware on the BL and the 1" would be the best choice...
fender work required ;)

Catching air... wee bit or not... could cause vehicle damage regardeless of the BL or not...

There's plenty of other stuff that might break first...

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
i think you would be good with a 1 inch body lift. i think another reason that the prerunner guys dont run body lifts is that they also jump, which adds incredible amounts of stress to the ody mounts. when you add a body lift, the pucks are smaller than the stocks body mounts so it puts the same amount of pressure on a smaller area. i have taken my 2 inch body lift on a good bit of bumpy and washboard roads and haen't had a problem yet. as for 33's, i have run them for a good while with 3 inches of lift and not had a problem, but i had them on a std. cab with v6 springs so that might account for that. you should be able to just trim the plastic if you have a problem. i say...do it

1 - 18 of 18 Posts