TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if someone could help me with the pros and cons of both a suspension lift and a body lift, and which would be better for a 3 inch lift for my prerunner

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I was just wondering if someone could help me with the pros and cons of both a suspension lift and a body lift, and which would be better for a 3 inch lift for my prerunner
Just a heads up. This topic has been beaten to death. There is a ton of info on it already. Do a quick search and ye shall find...or post in newbie section to avoid the flaming. Also, fill in your sig, or give us the specific info regarding your truck. It helps us help you. :2cents:

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
The pros of a BL are it is cheap and will allow you to fit big meats.
The cons are it will raise your C of G and, compared to a suspension lift, will not really improve the capabilities of your truck beyond said tires.
The pros of suspension lifts (there are many flavors, though) are they can improve the articulation and ground clearance of your rig. (Capabilities ^)
The cons are they will cost more.

SEARCH!!!!!!

And welcome to TTORA.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
BL would lift your COG less than a suspension lift. I find that a good body lift can compliment some other lifting nicely. Smaller body lifts are better but most hate them, personally I have had a good experience with my 2". There are a lot of ways to do suspension so that is definitely one to search on.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
BL would lift your COG less than a suspension lift. I find that a good body lift can compliment some other lifting nicely. Smaller body lifts are better but most hate them, personally I have had a good experience with my 2". There are a lot of ways to do suspension so that is definitely one to search on.
The CG is lifted less, but the results are worse... Its like adding a breaker bar to a wrench, the force the body applies to the suspension when cornering or off camber is increased, so it feels like a higher COG.

With most suspension lifts for the trucks we drive you arent gaining any clearance, so a mild (1") BL is commonly used for clearance of tires. Personally thats the largest I would ever run. I have run 3" BL's and know how much they suck...

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
The CG is lifted less, but the results are worse... Its like adding a breaker bar to a wrench, the force the body applies to the suspension when cornering or off camber is increased, so it feels like a higher COG.

With most suspension lifts for the trucks we drive you arent gaining any clearance, so a mild (1") BL is commonly used for clearance of tires. Personally thats the largest I would ever run. I have run 3" BL's and know how much they suck...
X2 kinda. BL increases CG more than suspension lifts due to one factor, body roll. The combined cab and bed weight lifted 3 inches over the top of the frame rail, acts like a lever on the suspension, applying more total weight in cornering and off camber situations, causing more body roll.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Also, generally, an upgraded suspension is going to be able to control the weight of the truck better than the stock crap.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
X2 kinda. BL increases CG more than suspension lifts due to one factor, body roll. The combined cab and bed weight lifted 3 inches over the top of the frame rail, acts like a lever on the suspension, applying more total weight in cornering and off camber situations, causing more body roll.
Also, generally, an upgraded suspension is going to be able to control the weight of the truck better than the stock crap.
Yep, Yep...

I have seen how bad a 3" BL can affect handeling. Luckily toyotas are pretty well mannered, BL's are much worse on other makes.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Yep, Yep...

I have seen how bad a 3" BL can affect handeling. Luckily toyotas are pretty well mannered, BL's are much worse on other makes.
x2 right on the money. Put one on a full size Chevy and see what happens:)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have been thinking of getting a 2" or 3" BL, to go with my spacer and add a leaf lift. I have seen good looking BL's. I have heard that they mess up the ride of the truck, any truth to this??

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I noticed a difference when I installed my 1" BL... but I got use to it! It's not as extreme as a 2 or 3" BL... but it will effect your ride.. Stay away from Blocks under the springs!!!! Axle Wrap to the MAX!!!

You should look at full spring replacement rather than AAL's... that will improve your ride

·
Registered
27 Posts
1" BL, Just seems like you wouldn't even notice it. Looking at your Pic's Animal to see the truck right now. But do you like the BL? With only a 1" BL did you run into any prob's with your hoses or anything?

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
It's a minimal BL, but I did it to clear 33's. I rub a little, I also still need to trim some :saw:...
Nope.. all the hoses are just fine... with a 1" BL all you really need to do is add a 1" spacer to the steering shaft.. and bumpers as well... thas it... when you go higher.. you have to add a bunch of shit everywhere to make it work!

But I like the 1" BL and havn't had any issues with it! Just keep rechecking your bolts every so often and you'll be golden!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Cool, thanks for the tips and advice. I think that will be my next mod once I am done with my exhaust. Just got to figure out how much I want to put on. I think now i am just going to look at either the 1" or 2" BL.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Just be sure to research all the parts that you want to get for your truck, and make sure that's the route that you wanna go!

Do it right the first time! :kewl:

Good Luck!

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
It's a minimal BL, but I did it to clear 33's. I rub a little, I also still need to trim some
wut :confused:

You must be rubbing at the mall parking lot...
'cause I sure as hell haven't seen you on the trail lately :neener:

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
No breaks... no excuse for not wheelin'...

You don't have that schedule everyday of the week

( You were excused on the last run... so stop yer whinin' ;) )

:xcrybaby: :baby:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts