TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I started taking off my 2" 4Crawler BL today and everything went fine....for an hour and then things went downhill. I spent all day trying to make it work and without the resources and time of some good friends, I wouldn't have a driveable rig.

I purchased the ES bushing replacement for all points and got stock length hardware from 4Crawler that was used when the BL pucks were removed.

I took the bodylift off and found out that the cab bolts stuck out of the bottom too far, about 1" of the unthreaded portion exposed in the two mounts directly under the cab. I had replaced the OEM bushings with the Energy Suspension ones and put a small spacer from 4Crawler that would make it level. So I hoped :rolleyes:

Couldn't figure out what was going on so we swapped the OEM bushings back in (BL pucks out) and now the BL bolts needed to be tightened up 2 MORE INCHES!

As it stands now, the truck still has the 2" BL on it, but a lot of extra washers needed to be added right before the nut to get it tight.

Any idea how the hell I now have a 1.5" lower cab than the engine section?? The front two didn't have this problem but this stumped me.

BTW we noticed this before we got done with the first side so we used the other side as a reference when we put the BL back on the other side and it still turned out the way I said above.
 

·
Happy, Happy, Happy
Joined
·
5,583 Posts
i followed you until the last 2 sections. Are you saying that you took the body lift off and now the bolts are too long? If that is the case it is simple... the 4crawler lift comes with new longer bolts. To remove the body lift completely you would need to replace the bolts as well. Aso for the cab being lower, did you remove ALL of the pucks. should be 6 on the cab of the d-cab if memory serves me right. 2 at the front bumper, 2 where the doors start (under your foot in the drivers seat) and 2 behind the rear seats. Hope I am understanding you correctly
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got new hardware that looks to be an inch longer, but when I put the BL pucks back on the BL hardware was way more exposed.

I was using a floor jack so i had to remove one side at a time. Since one side was already way too low, we never tried taking the BL off the other side.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
539 Posts
I wish I had an answer for ya. That was the oddest thing about the threads being more exposed. Hope you weren't there too much longer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I managed to get out of there about half an hour after I left.

Eric pulled a fast one on me and set my steering wheel upside down for the aggravation I caused, I guess :D Easy fix though.
 

·
truck ~n~ tow
Joined
·
10,917 Posts
I can hardly make sense of any of this... :confused:

What exactly are you attempting to do ?

Remove the BL ?
(You'll need the shorter OEM bolts...)

Adding ES Body Mounts ?
(Did you install the front ones correctly ?)

Hmmm...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,739 Posts
Im very confused too.. If your taking the BL off you need the stock bolts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried to take the BL off. I got the stock hardware from 4Crawler that included new ES bushings for the frame perches and a small spacer to account for the slightly lower height of the ES bushings.
 

·
truck ~n~ tow
Joined
·
10,917 Posts
Well I just added the 1" Crawler BL with the ES Bushings and didn't have any issues going that way (Even though the new bushings are slightly shorter)... So I'm trying to understand yer problems... You need to be detailed for us to understand yer plight...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmmmm....let's see if the condensed version sheds some light on this.

I take the BL off one side, change out the frame perch bushings with the ES ones, see too much thread exposed, put the OEM frame perch bushings back on WITH the BL pucks and hardware and ~2" of shiny thread is exposed.

I put the BL on my truck with a friend and when we took it off, it was both of us working on it so we know we were doing it right but can't figure out how this could happen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TacoDell said:
Well I just added the 1" Crawler BL with the ES Bushings and didn't have any issues going that way (Even though the new bushings are slightly shorter)... So I'm trying to understand yer problems... You need to be detailed for us to understand yer plight...
4Crawler actually sent me a very small spacer puck for the cab mounts to be the same height as the OEM ones.
 

·
truck ~n~ tow
Joined
·
10,917 Posts
HairyMonkey said:
Hmmmm....let's see if the condensed version sheds some light on this.

I take the BL off one side, change out the frame perch bushings with the ES ones, see too much thread exposed, put the OEM frame perch bushings back on WITH the BL pucks and hardware and ~2" of shiny thread is exposed.

I put the BL on my truck with a friend and when we took it off, it was both of us working on it so we know we were doing it right but can't figure out how this could happen.
These bolts must not be the factory OEM length or they are the wrong ones for the double cab maybe ? My extended length bolts for the BL were slightly longer then need be as well... I had to add an extra washer to the bottom side to be sure that the nuts did not bottom out on the thread... You know you could go down to Ace Hardware and get the same bolts that are shorter to fit yer needs... I swear his bolts are the same damn thing... Just make sure you get the correct grade...

HairyMonkey said:
4Crawler actually sent me a very small spacer puck for the cab mounts to be the same height as the OEM ones.
Hmmm.... Roger didn't tell me of anything like that... When I ordered my ES BM set... Course I was doing a lift and not a drop back to stock...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for your input on this, TacoDell. I would go down to ACE and get bolts that fit, but I got grade 8 hardware from 4Crawler and wanted to see if there was something else going on before I accuse him of sending me the wrong length bolts. I was thinking that he sent the wrong ones at first, but when I put the BL back on and had much more thread exposed on my BL hardware than before it made me sit back and scratch my head.

If you sit the ES bushings for the cab next to the OEM ones you can see that the ES ones are about 1/2" lower than the OEM.
 

·
truck ~n~ tow
Joined
·
10,917 Posts
HairyMonkey said:
Thanks for your input on this, TacoDell. I would go down to ACE and get bolts that fit, but I got grade 8 hardware from 4Crawler and wanted to see if there was something else going on before I accuse him of sending me the wrong length bolts. I was thinking that he sent the wrong ones at first, but when I put the BL back on and had much more thread exposed on my BL hardware than before it made me sit back and scratch my head.

If you sit the ES bushings for the cab next to the OEM ones you can see that the ES ones are about 1/2" lower than the OEM.

Ace has the grade 8 stuff... same damn goldish color.. and metric sizes as well... Last I was there... and yeah I noticed the height difference between the OEM mounts and the ES units... though I thought it was closer to 1/4" difference myself :dunno:...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
539 Posts
HairyMonkey said:
Can anyone provide the length of the stock body mount bolt for the cab?
I thought EC had your old bolts from when you originally installed the BL? Check with him.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
freejake3 said:
I thought EC had your old bolts from when you originally installed the BL? Check with him.
Eric has so much hardware from my truck that it would be damn near impossible to determine which ones are the right ones. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's why I got them from 4Crawler.

Anybody think I should just find shorter bolts and not worry about this?
 

·
truck ~n~ tow
Joined
·
10,917 Posts
HairyMonkey said:
Can anyone provide the length of the stock body mount bolt for the cab?
I don't have a double cab... but I do have a set of double cab bolts for the Crawler 1" BL... and they measure...

4 @ 6 1/4"
2 @ 5 1/4"

so I would expect the OEM stuff to be 1" shorter then those... or damn close...
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top