TTORA Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
96 2.7l w/ 175k miles. This has been an on going problem ever since I got the truck 10k miles ago. To troubleshoot the problem (and do some maintenance) I replaced the fuel filter, spark plugs, plug wires, air filter and clean the throttle body at least every oil change. Usually when I clean the TB the problem goes away, now its there pretty constantly.

It bogs upon acceleration, has a rough idle, and dies when the problem is around. Sometimes happens a few times a day, sometimes once every two weeks.

Im beginning to think it may be the fuel pump. Is the pump on tacoma's in tank?

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
205 Posts
If you`ve picked up some trash in your tank it could be stopping up the fuel filter. Personally I would start there again (cheaper and easier and won`t hurt)
If that doesn`t help, one way to pinpoint the fuel pump is to accelerate at a lot slower rate.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ive got an obdII diagnostic scanner, once In a while I get a check engine light. When I hook it up the code reads "fuel bank too rich", the problem is irrelevant to the check engine light. I clear it, sometimes it takes 5 months for it to come back (could be the o2 sensor causing the CEL).

Regardless of my acceleration rate, the truck still does it. It died at a few stop signs/lights today. Its very unpredictable when its going to happen, just comes out of nowhere from an idle and shuts itself off.

I'll do the fuel filter again, if it doesnt help, drop the fuel tank, take off the fuel pump assembly and take a look inside.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts