TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'M THINKING OF TAKING SOME OFF ROAD WAY TO VEGAS FROM BOISE MID DEC. i MIGHT BE GOING ALONE. I AM PRETTY EXPERIENCED OFF ROAD. AND HAVE MOST NECCESSARY SUPPLIES. ANY IDEAS ON ROUTES?

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
First, stop yelling. You could head due east to Seneca,oregon then follow logging roads thru burns into Nevada. From Reno pick up the old Vegas to Reno racecourse and push thru to Vegas. I've done most of the trip in sections, but I have most of the roads marked on grungy old fire maps and my feeble memory, lol. Be creative, there's a million ways to go.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry I was just so excited. I was not sure if this was the proper place to post but I am crossing a few states. I am really looking for fire roads. I want to do it in 3 days max. So I need to be moving fast. Is there maybe a must see stretch somewhere between here and vegas? I was thinking about going down through ely?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Years ago I did some field work about 50-75 miles south of Winnemucca...There is a high quality (read- high speed) gravel road that stretches from winnemucca south to highway 50. Although the main road is good gravel, there is plenty of opportunity for more interesting 4x4 sidetrips to some of the highpoints along the way... I don't have my pile of tattered maps handy now, but I am pretty sure this route will spit you out on 50 between rt 839 and rt 361. This is a scenic and empty route, nothing but a couple ranches and lots of rocks....when I look on google earth, it looks like rt 121 shares the same valley.

I am pretty sure our base camp was at this pass:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=s&ie=UTF8&ll=40.216996,-117.782857&spn=0.008012,0.01929&t=h&z=16

I think it called Mckelvy or McCallan or Mc-something pass. The road that goes to the peak south of the pass is possible in a stock Tacoma4x4.

It should be noted that there is more than likely a similar gravel highway that departs south out of Elko...fortunately for you, you will be traveling along the "structural grain" of the nevada topography/geology, and not against it.

Have fun! Bring gasoline.

·
2,251 Posts
One thing to keep in mind that you will likely run into snow during that time. well at least in the northern half of the state, especially around Ely. There a ton of dirt roads that criss-cross the state. You should be able to find a a mostly dirt way.

I will look up some of the roads I know, and ask my Dad (He was highway inspector for the state for 30+ years and knows lots of off highway roads)

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sweet yall that sounds awesome!!! Keep the info coming!! I'm pretty pumped!

·
Registered
124 Posts
That is great that the winnemucca-hwy 50 road is in good condition. Since it follows the valley floor the whole way, the snow MIGHT not be a problem for you. But then again, it might just stop your solo offroad adventure completely. Even shallow snow can drift, and drifts can be unpredictable in wide and windy intermontane basins. It not a fun prospect, the moment you realize you must dig your truck out of the snow by yourself in the middle of nowhere...especially when you should be at a holiday party.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
looks like I will be doing it on the way home possibly? thanks guys blessings!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts