TTORA Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to pull my rear drums apart and clean / adjust them. Anyone know what size bolt do I need to help remove the drum from the hub? I want to pick one up before I get the brakes apart...

2005 Tundra DCab 4x4.

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just to clarify I am talking about the two bolts you enter into the drum to push it back off the drum assembly.

Thanks,

Chris

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
I forget. I just get out the hell box and find one. You do have a hell box?
I doubt like hell you'll need one for an 05 anyway. The rear brake drums are slow to wear in any significant amount.

If they are like the early taco models, there is an access slot coverd with a rubber plug so you to get a screw driver in there and back the adjuster off if necessary.

BTW you don't adjust them until it's all back together.

Be thankfull it's not an older FJ. Those things have two wheel cylinders and two adjusters per wheel. On mine, all four wheels for eight of em all told. I still can't figure out how that was supposed to be better.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I need to pull my rear drums apart and clean / adjust them. Anyone know what size bolt do I need to help remove the drum from the hub? I want to pick one up before I get the brakes apart...

2005 Tundra DCab 4x4.

Thanks,

Chris
I forget. I just get out the hell box and find one. You do have a hell box?
I doubt like hell you'll need one for an 05 anyway. The rear brake drums are slow to wear in any significant amount.

If they are like the early taco models, there is an access slot coverd with a rubber plug so you to get a screw driver in there and back the adjuster off if necessary.

BTW you don't adjust them until it's all back together.

Be thankfull it's not an older FJ. Those things have two wheel cylinders and two adjusters per wheel. On mine, all four wheels for eight of em all told. I still can't figure out how that was supposed to be better.
Dick,

I have one of the boxes you speak of, I am just afriad I won't have the one bolt I need... Murphy's law. Hopefully I won't need the bolt at all and I can just pull them right off.

As for the tundra brakes, I have an LSD and the rear brakes are kinda of a bitch to adjust. It's difficult to adjust because you can't freely turn the wheel like you can with an open diff and feel if your adjusted correctly. Several guys over on the TS board have had issues with over tightening the rears and having to replace the drums . Trying to avoid that.

I figured I would just pull the entire drum apart, clean, and adjust till the drum barly fits back on the axel. You have any suggestions on how to go about it? If there is a better way I am all ears.

Thanks,

Chris

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
If it's an LSD it seems the worst you'd have to do is jack up the whole rear end instead of just one side at a time.
If the self adjusters work the same as the EM tacos, I'd just do what you said, get them close, then put the thing back together and yank on the e brake bell crank on each wheel until it tightness up, adjust the bell crank stop screw on each wheel followed by adjusting the main E brake, bell crank.

There are also inspection holes, again rubber plugs, so you can eyeball the clearance between the shoe and the drum. For the EM Taco it's something like 1 mm.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If it's an LSD it seems the worst you'd have to do is jack up the whole rear end instead of just one side at a time.
If the self adjusters work the same as the EM tacos, I'd just do what you said, get them close, then put the thing back together and yank on the e brake bell crank on each wheel until it tightness up, adjust the bell crank stop screw on each wheel followed by adjusting the main E brake, bell crank.

There are also inspection holes, again rubber plugs, so you can eyeball the clearance between the shoe and the drum. For the EM Taco it's something like 1 mm.
The issue I have with the LSD is that when you jack up the rear of the truck, and have both wheels off the ground, its very difficult to feel the point where the pads are starting to make contact with the drums. All I can feel is the wheel on the other side of the truck turning as well driveline.

On my taco I had an open diff and it was really easy to feel the point at which the pads started making contact with the drums.

Thanks for help, I will give it a go tonight.

Also if anyone has the bolt size it would be great.

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
801 Posts
I believe its an M8 bolt. Thats what I used on my 4runner.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
m8x1.25

1 - 9 of 9 Posts