TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock 87 pickup, and I think that means 103 hp. Obviously I'd like to increase that. Honestly, how much will I gain with an exhaust system? Does anyone have any dyno numbers that could help? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have a stock 87 pickup, and I think that means 103 hp. Obviously I'd like to increase that. Honestly, how much will I gain with an exhaust system? Does anyone have any dyno numbers that could help? Thanks in advance.
Don't waste your time.

You want... 2.25" exhaust, Header, Some sort of CAI/snorkel setup..

If you REALLY want to make it "fast".. Get a 268* cam, adjustable timing gear, and re-gear. Honestly re-gearing is gonna make the biggest difference out of anything. I put a 2.25" exhaust, turbo muffler, K&N filter, and MSD ignition on my old truck. I didn't notice any difference. You won't gain horsepower from an exhaust, not anything noticeable anyway..

/threadclosed

Everyone's gonna say the same thing I did buddy. :2cents:

·
Registered
337 Posts
I think that means 103 hp
Most stock 22RE's with 100k+ mi on them are hard pressed to even put 75hp to the rear wheels, and barely 100 ft lbs. They're slugs. Even if you swapped in a 3RZ it'd only put down 120hp and 130 ft lbs. Weeeeeak. :saw:

·
Registered
13 Posts
In my 22r powered 2wd i noticed a large increase in power from a weber and header install. Both installed at the same time so i can't say which did more for me but it was worth it to me. With 289,000 on the stock lower end and a fresh hg about 15k ago i dyno'd 96 hp to the wheels and 125 torque.

Then just for fun i fogged the intake with nitrous and got it up to 142hp and 192tq.

Seriously though getting factory rated numbers to the wheels after almost 300k was impressive to me. No factory dyno runs to compare though unfortunately

·
Registered
962 Posts
I woudl regear first and see if it has the desired effect. If not, tear it down, bore it, put in some oversized valves, new cam, header, and u might feel some difference. The 22r is not a powerhouse motor, its just a reliable one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts