TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check out the link below. I read this on a motorcycle forum- but thought this might effect all of us who go out on trails with motorcycles or off road vehicles. It is about "groups" or individuals booby trapping and/or sabotaging trails. And, I know many TTORA guys ride as well, and wanted to spread the word. We have to put a stop to this...:mad: :soapbox:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=675271

·
Registered
962 Posts
This is the first time I have ever heard of this. I do know that most of those "booby traps" are actually booby traps that pot growers use to defend thier crops. These methods also are used to keep people from tresspassing.
The most sabotage that occurs around here is trucks with really big tires diggin ruts out to keep others from being able to access areas for hunting.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Happens in the baja so they can steal parts or just watch a crash

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
A good friend of mine was killed when a cable, stretched across a trail we all ran, took his head off, literally!! I was nearly snatched off my motorcycle when some bastard ran a black rope across a trail we used to run, fortunatley it broke but left nasty burns..Needless to say things like that chap my ass!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sorry for your losses...
how can people live with themselves; after seting up something so barbaric.
As pointed out, booby traps and such have happened over the years in Baja, but the cables, ropes, lines, etc set a head high is attempted murder in my opinion. I have never seen or heard anything like this. And, if I ever saw any of these set ups, I would surely try to find out who was responsible. Please share all your stories, attach any photos, etc. and I will forward the info to the owner of Thumpertalk. I would like to see ABC air a story on the subject, and maybe then if anyone was caught doing anything like this they might be able to throw the book at them! Going to jail would be alot better option for these cowards then I have in mind! :mad:

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
i remember one of the socal members finding a 10 inch military knife wedged in the rocks stickin straight up at our 07 calico run... on odessa i beleive. not cool... not meant to kill somone, just to fuck people up.

·
Registered
353 Posts
i remember one of the socal members finding a 10 inch military knife wedged in the rocks stickin straight up at our 07 calico run... on odessa i beleive. not cool... not meant to kill somone, just to fuck people up.
thats more of a waste of a good knife than anything...

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
That was probably just drunken jarheads that lost a Ka-bar while playing catch, crazy bastards. With all the military around here I doubt it was intentional. You sure see some weird shit out here in the desert, lots of tweakers cook their junk in the mineshafts.

·
Registered
116 Posts
We have the same problems up here. Alot of horse riders will set stuff like
that up to keep bikers off the trails... no one has been killed that I know of, but I've got buddies who have had close calls. Its completely absurd...

·
Registered
644 Posts
I was with a friend in his Heep one night and he was blazing down the trail.. We were splashing in and outta mud holes and I had said to him. We are on the trail blind for the first time I think you should take it easy for now. Well, he didn't listen to me and the next thing you know we crash head on into a flat wall that was on the other side of the mud hole. It was dug out to have a deep end on one side and the "Wall" was dug deep enough to be hood high.
In the thick muddy water that was probably 4ft deep were logs run front to back and side to side causing all four tires to be wedged between them. Six hours later and a missed day at work we finally dug the thing outta there. No, He did not a winch, recovery strap or even a shovel. We had to call some friends in to bring us some shovels.
Noone died that night, but Traps are made.

·
Registered
508 Posts
the most iv ever come accross was on a dirt road to access a perfectly legal trail. some one laid a tree accross the road so we broke all the tire eaters and branches off of it and simply drove over it. it's still there to this day and everyone just rolls over it.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
cape taco12 said:
the most iv ever come accross was on a dirt road to access a perfectly legal trail. some one laid a tree accross the road so we broke all the tire eaters and branches off of it and simply drove over it. it's still there to this day and everyone just rolls over it.
Wow I'm surprised no one could tie a recovery strap around it to at least clear the trail?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Wow! I have seen people put sharpened re-bar stakes in ruts to stop or deter trespassing off of county roads, but it is sick that people would try to hurt anyone on a piece of public land or a trail designed for use, I understand the re-bar to stop the city Kidd's from climbing the Banks of the county road and destroying their property but anything designed to hurt some one is wrong!

·
Registered
607 Posts
This seems to be aimed at dirt bikers but as an avid mountain biker this shit is ridiculous!! Check out this site...it almost makes you sick to think that some people actually do this...or at least think about doing it. http://www.mega.nu:8080/ampp/efdm/efdm.html

·
Registered
43 Posts
not the first time

I am an offroader but first was a motorcyclist and volunteer my time to the forest service to ride trails (keep in mind trails that were BUILT and MAINTAINED by ORV funds) in eastern WA and clear them of debris (trees, branches, rocks). I had done so one weekend and the next went out to the same place for camping and riding with friends. We headed up the trail and every ten feet were stopping to move big fresh cut branches and rocks. Finally we came up behind a group of about 6 hikers and I stopped to talk and just said how I thought it was ridiculous that someone had come through and done that after all the work the weekend before. They replied "well maybe you shouldnt be on these trails". I kept it civil and let them know that they wouldnt be here either without ORV funds so they should be grateful. After passing them suprizingly there were no more branches or rocks all over the trail. Makes ya think

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Ive heard of people throwing cinder blocks into mud holes so that when you go throught them you tear your shit up.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts