TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i started off with a 2000 tacoma TRD (i should have just got a non TRD and saved a little money): 6" Trailmaster, spacers, 35's, few engine mods, and progressive fabrication.
i had wheeled this thing hard for about 6 years and after wanting to take bigger lines, and the fact that almost everytime we went out, i was changing a CV shaft (not to mention the local Napa had a stock of shafts just for me to exchange on warranty), it was time to step up and either make my truck more capable OR sell it. AND I'LL BE DAMNED IF I SELL MY TRUCK!
on to the steps of this transformation

this is what it looked like after the TM lift and a little pre runner bumper fab.




After Slider and rear wrap around bumper.


and now the goodies after a little cleaning:
Ford 9" with 31 spline stuffed with chromoly shafts, 5.13s, and a spool.

HP 44 stuffed with chromoly shafts, 5.13s, and a detriot



one of the few guys that helped me with the swap. I;ll post more of the other guys as the thread grows.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
the truck on jack stands getting ready for the plasma cutter



And the IFS on the floor AKA The Point Of No Return!



the little fella that helped with the build

and what happens when he helps too much.


Cleaning up parts


these are trashed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
got the crossmember tacked in before we hit the main crossmember with the plasma.

TIG weld Tacks


My favorite Part, Grinding. Can you sense the sarcasm?


all clean



tacked in spring hanger

some little TIG welds in the cross member


the hangers are set



after i hung the axle, i lifted one side of the axle and found a little binding issue, but nothing the grinders couldn't fix. everything was square, but the shackle was hitting the hanger when the axle would move up.




I Owe a big thanks to Shefron and BrianSC33, i was calling and texting them all hours of the night asking them questions and they never hesitated to offer help or information.
got that fixed, and went on to mount the steering box.


plated the frame and motor mounts, and this is the finished product.


went on to the Oil pan and parts. i bought the t100 oil pan and pick up, dipstick tube and dipstick, and union. i only used the pan and pickup. the rest is for sale if someone wants it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
this is the pan off and ready for the new one. i owe a big thanks a to Eric B on the PBB for the tips and pictures to do this right.


i sent my knuckles off to Ballistic to have them machine a flat top so i could use their high steer arms. and man did i love the final product! the are quality and honest about turn around time.when i got them back, i put new Ball Joints cause the stock ones were shot.



my bling warn premiums, and if i know im going to hit the trail hard, i have some drive flanges as well.


assembling the knuckles, spindles, rotors and hubs. with new bearings and seals




the ballistic Steering kit is burly!



i got lazy and i don't have pictures of the TIG Welds and final product. sorry.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rear axle was straight forward. here is Sergio (WARTOY) busting his knuckles and bitching that i didn't want to drink beer at 9:30am. he suffered till about noon then he was happy. we swapped in the 63" chevy springs and used ballistic hangers.

the 9" sitting under the truck

finished


side shot
the front sits a little higher that i would like, but i will fix this later on. got the truck sitting on its own wieght.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
update: the truck is my DD again, after installing the rear axle, i installed the Proportioning valve, made new brake lines and bled it, then i try to move it out of the drive way and i blow a rear wheel cylinder. I replace that along with new brake shoes (cause im poor and cant afford the disc conversion) re bleed the brakes and find a fitting that needs to be tightened. as i tightened it i strip it and now need to take that line off the truck and cut it, put a new fitting on and re- doubleflare it. get that done and now driveable. i put a 2" block in the rear for now until i can get around to fabbing a new front bumper, mounting the winch and taking a leaf out of the front packs. its a little better now, but i need to throw on the on-board-air and an ARB in the rear cause the spool sucks! i sold the IROKS and traded my used 35" BFGs for a new set of 37" MTRs, that was my luck for this build. i had taken 3 steps forward and 10 back troughout this build, i wish luck to anyone that is swapping their truck and advise them to RESEARCH before they cut it up. i did many MANY hours of research and still had a little trouble. other than that i love the full width look.




next step is install the dual cases with the lefty and flat bed, and internal cage.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top