·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With respect to these threads,

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156764

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91105

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1578517

I was looking at an inner boot the other day and it came to me. Just cut the 1/2" or so part where the shaft clamp goes off an old boot and save. Slide a new boot on the shaft several inches past the groove. Next slide the old piece to the stock location and clamp or tie wire in place. Be sure to mash any protruding parts of the clamp or tie wire flat. This provides a "stop" that will keep the new boot from sliding back into the groove. Just that simple.
Some pics to come later.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Cool Idea, I think I'll have to try that out on my next rebuild!

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Just saw this thread.. I would like to see pics also. I bet this method will not hold the grease in very well and the clamp rubbing up against the new boot may wear down the inside of it.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I cut up an inner boot for a better view of what is going on and wasted my time machining a blingy "boot stop".
The shaft in the pics is just a piece of round stock for illustrative purposes.

Here are two other methods that will do absolutely the SAME thing and they are free. At left is the waste of time, center is a handful of c-clips (tripod retainers) and right is the method I would use in the future, about 3/8" of the original boot end backed up by one tripod c-clip. (c-clip inboard of the boot piece) OEM boot kits come with new clips so just use the old clip for the stop.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Now thats a good idea. I wanted to stretch my inner boots when I rebuild mine, but didnt want to wait 24 hrs for it to dry and have no truck.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just want to say that I did this trick about 2 months ago. I used my old boots to make the stops and used c-clips to keep them in place. I would def recommend using a c-clip to eliminate any doubt of a clamp or tie snagging the new boot, but this is just me.

So far so good, no grease leaking after about 2 thousand miles. Drove a 700 mile trip right after replacing the boots and everything is good.

I have had to replace both sides several times in the past and have tried several different high angle boots with little success of truly eliminating the rubbing problem. With this trick the fins are not even close to touching and I think this is really the way to go.

I will also point out that high angle boots appear to be hard to come by these days and none of them are/were worth a damn anyway.
-Off Road Solutions is out of business and their boots sucked anyway.
-Downey had some "high angle boots", but the boots were simply stock boots made out of different material and they also sucked AND Downey is also no longer in business.
-All Pro has some that are similar to what ORS had that require you to cut and use the flange of your old boot (give me a break) and are too expensive. Oh yeah and you have to purchase a clamp separately (wtf?).

I feel pretty confident in the long term reliability of this solution at this point.

Great tip terryj, this should be in the tech section so it is easily found for others!

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
This seems like a really legitimate way to stop blowing cvs i would imagine this is the same with the inner boots as well right?
This only applies to inner boots. Outers do not have issues with tearing.

I have done this mod as well, but used a band clamp for the small piece of the boot that goes within the other boot. It holds tightly so it will not slip up the shaft. You can use the other clamp for the actual boot if you want. This mod works and is fast.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
I'd like to do this BEFORE I blow my first set, anyone have any ideas, as I don't have an old c clip to put on...
Get two new inner boot kits, and two band style clamps, or you can do the entire job with band clamps if you want. You don't need C-clips. Just take the piece of the boot and put it in the groove, as far as possible from the tripod bearings. Clamp it down tight with the band clamp (would not recommend using any other style clamp as others may not hold tightly enough and may allow the piece of the boot to slip up the groove, making the mod pretty much worthless). Of course you must already have the other boot slipped on past this piece, install the piece after, then clamp the whole boot down after packing with grease.

In my town, they had the band clamp tightening tool at Napa, and the clamps at CarQuest.. your luck may vary but I had to do a lot of searching to find the damn things.. not to mention the tool.

I have my truck at 2.5" of lift since I do want some downtravel and the boots are not even close to rubbing.

·
Registered
272 Posts
saweet, it just so happens that I have an axle sitting in the garage waiting for the time to put new boots in. Will give this a go for sure.
Wont know how well it works until I blow another one up as it is only a spare though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
so to clarify, wouldnt one have to cut that piece of the old cv boot that fits in the groove to get it onto the shaft? and then push the new cv boot over the band clamp holding everything together? Im a much better visual learner so please bear with me.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Yes, use a band clamp for the inner peice and get a tool for them at Napa. Band clamps hold tightly and that is what you want because there is some room for the piece to move back on the groove and it won't stretch as far as possible and may still rub.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Yeah. Take the CV off, take the big clamp off. Get a spare boot and cut the peice you need, slip the good boot foward, clamp the piece in the groove, regrease and reclamp the whole boot and you are done. You will still need extra boots for the donor pieces, unless you use those collar things.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Why dont you just unclip the clamp, and slide the boot back. Then re-hook the clamp... Can be done while they're on the truck with no extra peices
:newbie:

They don't stay. You need an inner clamp to keep the boot from sliding back up towards the diff.

·
Registered
195 Posts
and right is the method I would use in the future, about 3/8" of the original boot end backed up by one tripod c-clip. (c-clip inboard of the boot piece) OEM boot kits come with new clips so just use the old clip for the stop.

I know this thread gets linked often when the discussion on inner boots comes up now and then, but it truly deserves another bump.

I had bought the OEM boot kits and just did this yesterday. I chose the method on the far right; as why not do it when I'm in there changing the boots anyways, and have the old C-clip. Since the shaft is indented for the boot to seat anyway, the cut boot piece and reused C-clip aren't ever going anywhere they shouldn't. Brilliant idea, and by no means difficult, but highly recommend a set of lock-ring pliers, as without them it may be near impossible to get the old C-clip down that far on the shaft. With them, goes on in seconds! Just have fun in all the grease!!!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts