TTORA Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Now I'm bringing this back up. I have done one CV swap with Napa's.

This time I will use the stock I pulled and do the boot slide. Dunno why I didn't last time. Duh.

I'm gonna cut the old boot and use the c-clip.

How do I get it on? Hammer or special tool.

And how is everyone with zip ties or hose clamps doing on longetivity?

Or is best to buy the tool Trevor 3blacktoys suggested and go stock clamps? They are in my kit.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Any thoughts? I found some high strength zip ties. 250lb. tensile strength.

UV resistant too, in case I go wrong side up.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
822 Posts
I have done the boot slide mod without glue the last two times and it has held up great. I use the stock otaker style clamps and get them as tight as possible before using the pliers to cinch them down. I honestly dont think all this is necessary. I swear by the boot slip mod

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
I don't understand some of what you're saying knucklebuster. What is "otaker" clamp? Stock?

New question: I have the stock boot kit from Toyota. There are 4 packs of grease. 2 black, 2 brown. Which goes in which joint?:confused:

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Guess I need to read my own thread on searching:rolleyes:

Lighter color grease(FSM says yellow ochre - I think Bob Ross worked for Toyota) I call it brown.

It goes in the inner boot. Black grease on the outer.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
How the FUCK do you get this c-clip on behind the cut piece of the old boot.

Do need a special c-clip tool my snap ring pliers can't do it. It has a small bulge that I just can't slide past. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH:suicide::suicide:

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Fail for me. I guess I need a better tool.

In my haste and frustation I don't know which way the tripod bearing goes back on now either.

One side has a taper from the outside of the casting toward the splines. Which direction does it go on the splines of the shaft?

Please help an idiot out:D Thanks

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Got the stupid c-clip on with my crappy snap ring pliers. Still, I blew on the tripod and need to know which way it goes back on the axle shaft. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Anyone? I can't finish my project until I get this figured out.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Got the stupid c-clip on with my crappy snap ring pliers. Still, I blew on the tripod and need to know which way it goes back on the axle shaft. Thanks.
I'm not sure if this is to late but the fsm says to "place the beveled side of the tripod axial spline toward the outboard joint".

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
I'm not sure if this is to late but the fsm says to "place the beveled side of the tripod axial spline toward the outboard joint".
Not too late, I wasn't going to do it wrong.

I missed that when I looked at the FSM. Thank you very much Lunarmist02.

I need to swap this in and rebuild the other one now. So I always have a spare.

I'm slowly learning:)

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
CV reboot and bootslide done. With the c-clip style. It went quick after I was told what I missed in the FSM. Thanks again Lunarmist.

The boot clamps were surprisingly easy. I squeezed and clipped them on by hand and then crimped them. No special tool.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Okay so I just did this mod using a napa lifetime warranty shaft and it seems I ran into a little trouble.....

Everything went well except for the top part of the boot that fits around the joint housing. I used an OEM boot and it seems that the Napa housing has deeper and shorter inlets where to boot slides onto the joint housing.

When i compress the joint and move around some grease comes out.... Im just wondering if this will be okay?? Not sure if too much grease will be getting out when its on the truck. Anyone have any suggestions or ever had this problem?

·
Registered
164 Posts
First picture is the axle just modified. You can see where the grease is coming out of. Not sure if it will just leak a little bit when it is on the truck or if it is going to spray it out.....

Second picture is another axle that seems to have the same width and depth of groves that the OEM boot fits onto.

Attachments

·
Registered
199 Posts
I'm surprised the part number for the factory boot kit is not in this thread. If anyone knows it, they should post it. Otherwise I will add it when I find it.

Edit: After a little looking, it appears the boot kit is p/n: 04438-04021.
Figured this thread could be a one stop shop for this mod ;)

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
My boot kit from Kauai Toyota.

2000 Tacoma: PN# 04438-04021

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have OEM boots. I just bought OEM boots from the dealer.... the problem is that the cv axle is not an OEM cv axle. The part where the top of the boot goes onto the inner joint housing is not shaped the same. The three grooves are shaped shorter and deeper than the OEM ones im guessing..... I looked at the old boot that was on that axle and compared it to the OEM one and the old one has deeper and not as wide groves...... This is the part on the boot that is thicker than the rest and fits into the curved portion of the joint housing.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts