TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been interested in adding a spare tire mount to my bed but did not want to lose any bed functionality because this is my daily driver and I use the bed for transport. I have always liked the look and the concept of the Tire Gate product (www.tiregate.com) but could not justify spending the 1K and they do not make one for my model truck (93 Toyota Pickup). Did a little research and decided to attempt to build one of my own. Any input form someone who has built something similar would be helpful.

I'll try to post pics of the project as I go. Might be a little slow going as I am by no means a fabricator and have to go to a buddies house to use a bender, welder, etc.

Have not gotten much done yet, but it is a start. The bottom tube of the frame assembly cannot be one piece because the vertical assemblies have to be able to slide over steel bushings that are bolted to the tailgate hinge holes. This part took a little time for my somewhat simple mind to engineer.

Here is the original Tire Gate product

Here is my humble beginning

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
I suggest you contact Jason Demello and/or David Hale for some enlightening info ;)

whatever you do, don't just slap stuff together. If/when that sucker breaks it will do so on the hwy letting 100# of tire and steel loose to kill the poor suckers behind you.

Atwinda and T-Bob have both fabbed their own swing-out carriers that haven't fallen appart..yet :p

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
the only thing I would say is box in the frame with a piece of 3x2 square piece. and I hope that the tire carrier is some how bolted or welded to the frame and not the bed.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I suggest you contact Jason Demello and/or David Hale for some enlightening info ;)

whatever you do, don't just slap stuff together. If/when that sucker breaks it will do so on the hwy letting 100# of tire and steel loose to kill the poor suckers behind you.

Atwinda and T-Bob have both fabbed their own swing-out carriers that haven't fallen appart..yet :p
Please enlighten me. Not sure why it would break once completed. Is the original product a bad design? Obviously this is just in the mock up stage and no where near complete. I am sticking as close to the original design as I can and don't forsee any issues (unless I am missing somthing). When complted there will be a total of 6 mounting points to the bed (3 on each side) just like the original design. It is also being constructed out of thicker wall tubing than the original. Please, if I am missing something here let me know ASAP. I don't want to head down the wrong path this early in the game.

Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
Please enlighten me. Not sure why it would break once completed. Is the original product a bad design? Obviously this is just in the mock up stage and no where near complete. I am sticking as close to the original design as I can and don't forsee any issues (unless I am missing somthing). When complted there will be a total of 6 mounting points to the bed (3 on each side) just like the original design. It is also being constructed out of thicker wall tubing than the original. Please, if I am missing something here let me know ASAP. I don't want to head down the wrong path this early in the game.

Thanks
Beds on toyotas are not exactly the toughest things out there and are not really designed to support the over 100 pounds of steel tire and wheel you want to hang off the back of it. You definetely need to tie the mounts for this into the frame.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The bed is simply not designed for the weight of a tiregate and a tire hanging off of it. The sheetmetal is thin!
I assumed that Wilco Products did not make the Tire Gate for this truck becuase the demand was not high enough for this model. Is the bed integrity the real reason?

I figured that if they make one for the 95+ Tacoma then it would not be a problem running one one my pre Tacoma pickup. Looks like I might have jumped the gun on this one a little bit. Where do you see it breaking? Will it just rip the sheet metal apart at the mounting points?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Just build it when its done use your judgement to see if its safe.

Have none of you ever loaded say a 500# quad into the bed off the tailgate? The beds are strong enough. As long as you tie into stock hinges and latchs it will be fine.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
I assumed that Wilco Products did not make the Tire Gate for this truck becuase the demand was not high enough for this model. Is the bed integrity the real reason?

I figured that if they make one for the 95+ Tacoma then it would not be a problem running one one my pre Tacoma pickup. Looks like I might have jumped the gun on this one a little bit. Where do you see it breaking? Will it just rip the sheet metal apart at the mounting points?
Before Atwinda and myself beefed up his original design it was mounted off 3 bolts per side. It started tearing his bed apart.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Before Atwinda and myself beefed up his original design it was mounted off 3 bolts per side. It started tearing his bed apart.
Anybody have any pictures of Atwinda's swing away tire mount? Maybe an old thred about the build? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
we had a discusion about the og tire gate here a while back. CaptKirkyota has on and is very happy with it. He is a krawlin guy though, not a go fast guy.

My concern with that product is that it is on the desert style but not built right to last in the desert.

Wgasa is a very knowledgable and well respected member here so take his input seriously.

That said it seems to me that if you also incorperated this into a prerunner style rear bumper and tied it into something forward of the tailgate it would last.

good luck with the build. lots of this stuff was trial and error for lots of people and only now with the internet can you get instant feedback from a variety of fab guys with a variety of backgrounds.

Me, i would break it i think but i put a lot of hard off road miles on my truck. probly over a 1000 miles of baja dirt this summer alone:D
Mike

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
HA!!! prerunner series... and cali lifted trucks do great in the whoops.
remember when prerunner meant a truck that was actually used to PRE RUN a race course?

looking at your notching and all that i can see you have the skills to do this right, but attach it to the frame somewhere.

mike

·
Registered
779 Posts
check out jamie's from 4x innovations... I am looking into one of these at this time as well. I just contacted Adam at 4x and am awaiting his e-mail; tomorrow.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
had to throw the yet in there.....yee of little faith :xsmokin1:

·
Registered
2,460 Posts

·
Registered
2,477 Posts

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Anybody have any pictures of Atwinda's swing away tire mount? Maybe an old thred about the build? Thanks.
I don't have any pictures of the reinforcements that we made for his swingout, but what we did is mount it to his offroad bumper, and use the exhisting (fixed) tailgate mounting holes as a method to secure the bedsides from flexing and flopping around.

A couple buddies and myself built this one on to his exhisting offroad bumper, it is EXTREMELY stout, I'd venture to say probably one of the strongest. ;) If he breaks it, the rest of his truck is going with it.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts