TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well after looking at my beat up tacoma that is pretty much just a trail truck today, i decided i wanted a new car. well went out and bought a loaded VW GTI VR6, its a fun little car to drive, although i do feel a little funny driving it compared to sitting on 39.5's. o well now i can beat the hell out of the truck and not have to worry about my daily driver.

·
Random Dude
1,043 Posts
I did a very similar thing back in June. Though I picked up an R32. So much more fun and comfortable to drive around town.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
joe_mauma said:
Congrats, but plan to develop a close relationship with your local Volkswagen Service Manager!
I have always liked VW, but now have noticed alot of reports about their reliablity being bad. I really like the looks of them but don't think I would ever risk getting one now.

·
Registered
146 Posts
@ zszac111 - Is your GTI the new '05 model or the 99.5-04 model?

As the former owner of an '01 Audi S4....I agree with the previous statements. Its always good to have someone that will push things along and help you out if need be, however, that applies to ALL dealers as well as aftermarket shops for any car/truck.

VAG (Volkswagen-Audi Group) is no less reliable (IMO) than any other major mfg. when you get right down to it.
My car had 55,000 miles on it when the first warning light flashed...and this car was always pushed hard.

A Little Offtopic
@ BigBadBob0 - awesome choice... That has got to be the baddest car that VW has ever made. VR6 motor with the TT turbo & I/C setup, AWD, 6 spd. mmmmmm
Did you see it in the Nov. Car & Driver? If not, let me know. I'll scan it and send it to you.
Also, have you checked out www.goapr.com ?

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
joe_mauma said:
Congrats, but plan to develop a close relationship with your local Volkswagen Service Manager!

well hopefully it wont have to many problems, its an 01 with 33K miles on it, some old guy was the owner and it has all the certified maitance stamps so maybe it was taken care of. but shit i dont care, its just a car to drive around, ill be getting my new f250 at the first of the year for a tow rig. so between 3 cars/trucks if one messes up it aint going to kill me. god at the things you can buy when you dont have a wife spending all the money anymore :D

·
Registered
297 Posts
ya, I have an 01. The reason the reliability went way down in those years was the problems with the coil packs on the new then 1.8t. Since then they have been really reliable. Mine has almost 60k on it and all I have done is change the oil, put gas in it, and a rear set of brake pads. Enjoy!!

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
scottnmos said:
ya, I have an 01. The reason the reliability went way down in those years was the problems with the coil packs on the new then 1.8t. Since then they have been really reliable. Mine has almost 60k on it and all I have done is change the oil, put gas in it, and a rear set of brake pads. Enjoy!!

yeah thats what year mine is, its the vr6 so hopefully there's not to many known problems with that model. what kind of millage are you getting out of it?

·
Registered
772 Posts
joe_mauma said:
I don't think so or at least not for me. I've had my Jetta TDI for about 3 months now and have had 0 problems (5K miles). Trust me I wasn't a VW fan either but I wanted something that got 40+MPG and was still fun to drive (TDI). Even though they're assembled in Mexico they've supposedly improved their build quality greatly in the last 2 years.

BTW, I really wanted an Acura TL or TSX but both of them defeated the purpose of a commuter/economy car.

·
Registered
772 Posts
The only problem I know of on those years were the power window module (bad design and breaks frequently), coil packs, and the MAF (TDI model). I haven't heard of any horror stories other then those.. I'm getting ready to chip mine which will boost it to around 150HP and 275lbs of torque. Got to love those diesels and the torque..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
9 Participants
Shakerhood
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing