TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:D

Well, I am back with you guys. I just bought an 89 Toyota xtra cab, 4wd. 22re, 5 speed, manual hubs, body is beat up.Brand new tires, headgasket, radiator, etc. Got it for 800 because the owner didn't know what the temp overshoot issue was.

Pictures when I get home.

Plan is to weld up my sliders on it, throw my old BFG mud tires on it, weld the rear, and go! I'll be selling the other tires off of it to cover a portion of the purchase price.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will be, just gotta do a few things to it so i am not a hazard on the trail. Thought about a lunchbox locker for the rear, and 4.70 tcase gears? I dunno, pick it up tomorrow at 1. I'll see what it needs then.

·
4,068 Posts
Crank the torsion bars, weld the rear, skip the 4.7's, spare dler arm for the steering and that should be good to beat on a while.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Congrats on the new rig man!

I might be interested in the tires depending on size and condition (not for my taco).

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So far here is what it needs:
New cv's both sides
Fix vacuum hose
New t stat
Pack front wheel bearings
Clean Maf, and adjust idle
Adjust parking brake
Ran great on the way home, but dies when you come to a stop. I think a missing vac hose is the culprit. Shifts good, steering is a little loose. Oh, and the speedometer doesn't work. So 235k miles and not counting? :D

·
1,860 Posts
hey man get with me, i still have this motor on my work bench and would like to see it gone soon. bout to pull all the stuff out of garage and reaarange it.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey man get with me, i still have this motor on my work bench and would like to see it gone soon. bout to pull all the stuff out of garage and reaarange it.
I totally forgot about the motor. Sending PM now.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So far here is what it needs:
New cv's both sides
Fix vacuum hose
New t stat
Pack front wheel bearings
Clean Maf, and adjust idle
Adjust parking brake
Ran great on the way home, but dies when you come to a stop. I think a missing vac hose is the culprit. Shifts good, steering is a little loose. Oh, and the speedometer doesn't work. So 235k miles and not counting? :D
Vacuum hose fixed, that fixed idle
T stat fixed, runs good
Rear bumper/hitch pulled off

Cv's on order, and I have a friend welding the diff, and welding the sliders on soon. Do the maintenance stuff, and I will be good to go.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So are you gonna pu that engine from nate in right away? That thing will be sweet!
Probably not, it actually runs fairly well. Probly swap it this winter. Another item to fix is the idler arm bushings.

·
1,860 Posts
If that 89 has same idler arm as 86-88 then just replace it and keep a spare for the trail...ask me how i kno!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts