TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally finished building my tube bender so I figured it was time to put it to use and build some sliders for my Tacoma. The legs and base of the sliders are built out of 2"x2" .120 box, the fish plates and leg supports are built from 3/16" plate, and the tube is 1.5" .120. It took 1 day to design and build the base of the sliders and another day to do all the tube work and final welding. I just painted them this morning, and I will weld them to the truck tomorrow morning and then Ill get some pics of them on the truck for yall. Enough talk, on to pictures.

The legs, fish plates, and the main bars are on the bottom.

Didn't take a lot of pics because its just welding them together. So here are the bases welded together.

Started bending some tube for what I wanted and mocking things up to cut the proper angles.

After the angles were right, I tacked everything into place, made my support legs for the tube and welded everything together. The tube kicks up at a 29* angle.

Here are a few shots after paint this morning.

Ill get them welded on tomorrow and get some pics of them on the truck up here.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I made them that size on purpose. They will cover from right behind the front body mount to just under the bed on a 2010 DC SB.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I like the design, but only one little issue i see is the 1.5" .120 wall. I think you will find yourself denting those up pretty bad. the 1.75 .120 silders i have dents easily enough, and the few pieces of 1.5 .120 on my truck get dents significantly easier.

If you dont plan on wheeling them super hard then Im sure you will be fine, Still I like the design Its pretty similar to what I have in mind for my next set i want to build.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Nice

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice work, you ever thought about making some for others?
No, not really. I just help friends fab up whatever they want. I don't really have enough free time to build things for production. And the cost I would have to charge for my time you can buy from vendors for cheaper.

Thanks everyone for the nice work comments.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
.120 wall is fine. Thicker steel will bend too and it's a lot heavier. It's OK to have dents in your sliders. They are there to keep the dents out of you're doors!

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
.120 wall is fine. Thicker steel will bend too and it's a lot heavier. It's OK to have dents in your sliders. They are there to keep the dents out of you're doors!
ya and id rather cave my sliders than my frame.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts