TTORA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Built this roof rack a couple days ago. I purchased a pair of Front Runner rack rails from Equipt Expedition Outfitters to use for mounting. Apparently these rails were one of two set left since these are now out of production. These rails are designed for a Hilux so the curvature of the roof is slightly different, but very close. I had to fabricate custom clamps that attach in the door frame since the Hilux ones won't work.

I like these rails because they are lower than using load bars/feet from Thule or Yakima and mounting a rack on top of the load bars. Also the feet runs the full length of the roof to distribute the load better. I guess these went out of production because it wasn't cost effective to produce the rubber extrusion for the mounting pads. I think there could be some ways to do something similar, but this is strong and there is no drilling the roof.

The rest of the rack is pretty simple but I wanted a low profile platform the reduce wind resistence (and I like how they look better). I recessed some tiedown tracks into the sides. Now I'm saving up for a lightbar to go across the front.

Details

·
Registered
6 Posts
WHOA! That looks amazing! How are the side clamps that going into your door frame tighten down? What I mean, is how do they provide tension and pull the rack down to your roof top?

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it clamps to the lip for the weather stripping. Up top is a captured nut that tightens to snug it down and give tension.

I'm looking for some LED lightbar options for the front of this rack. We need to talk!

·
Registered
123 Posts
COOL rack! It makes me wish I hadn't paid to have the rack rails installed on my shell and arranged for lower side mounts instead. I just didn't want to drill into my new shell. I'm trying to figure out how to keep a custom built rack low on the factory shell rails now. Check out my build sometime. I'm thinking about getting your same tires next, just not sure where I'll mount a spare 33".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts