TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Noob questions - I was under the impression that previous generations of Tacoma (90's, pre-2005?) had full length boxed frame. But a co-worker said that Tacomas' rear section have always been C-frame. Who's right?

When was the first model year for the current generation of Tacoma? My wife want to swap her Sienna minivan for a truck but I am hesitated to buy a first year model.

Thank you!

·
Banned
722 Posts
You're buddy is right. They are C channgle. They did a revamp somewhere in the 2000 range but it's still a C-channel w/ a gusset. 05 was the new model year I believe.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
1st gen - 1995.5-1997
2nd gen - 1998-2000
3rd gen - 2001-2004
4th gen - 2005-present

and yes, the rear section of the taco frame has always been c-channel

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
Just to add to what everyone else said, the pre-95 Toyota 4x4 pickups were fully boxed front to rear. Interestingly enough, the older FJ40's were not fully boxed but were C-channel, albeit really big and thick c-channel. Also, fullsize, 1/2-ton Broncos and F150s are big, thick c-channel. I don't believe the FJ40's or Broncos ever had a problem with the frame bending like a few of the 95.5-04 Tacos have had in the rear c-channel section right above the rear axle. Even so, you can strengthen the rear Taco c-channel with frame plate reinforcements. DeMello Off Road sells them for less than $100 last time I checked.

As for the new Tacos (05+), I really don't know much about their frames or whether the rear c-channel section has a propensity to bend if a heavy rear bumper/trailer is attached. I do believe all the 4Runners and new FJ Cruisers have fully boxed frames, though, but I could be wrong about that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok thanks everyone! I read in another thread here that Toyota have stiffened up the frame of the current gen so hopefully that won't be a problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts