TTORA Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm ordering the full-floater rear w/ disc conversion for my truck and I'm curious about the Brake Perportioning Valve they are pushing with it. I've never had any issues with the manualy actuated stock one when its dialed in right so why do I really HAVE to get the manual type?

·
Registered
933 Posts
You dont HAVE to but you should use one. You might be able to rig up a setup to use the existing one, but your best bet is an adjustable one. The disc setup will require different pressures than the old drums to stop properly. that is why you need one.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand the different pressure and volume between the two, but if the discs are close enough to the drums in that regard that I dont need to switch my MC then it should still be within an adjustable range for my stock BPV, right? Correct me if I'm wrong but the drums take more pressure less volume, while discs are less pressure more volume right? I just like the idea of the pressure being adjusted acording to the load on the rear axle, not a "one setting fits all" approach. If someone has already done both and can attest to the absolute need for the other valve I'll buy it at the same time.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
thats whats great about the aftermarket bvps, they can be adjusted to suit your different braking needs just by turning a knob...

i plan on puting one in my cab so i can have on the fly rear brake bias adjustment. soemtimes i like to lockup the rear to setup a slide around a corner

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thats whats great about the aftermarket bvps, they can be adjusted to suit your different braking needs just by turning a knob...

i plan on puting one in my cab so i can have on the fly rear brake bias adjustment. soemtimes i like to lockup the rear to setup a slide around a corner
Thats the great thing about the stock valve is that it adjusts itself :D
I adjust mine so it just barely starts to lock on dirt, then if I want to slide into a corner I shift down while brakeing and that gets her loose, then I'm already at high RPM's to use the gas to continue the slide as I accelerate out and control the slide with the throttle. I love that rally shit, almost makes me miss my IFS :cool: ..... I said ALMOST :lmao:

·
Registered
682 Posts
After my 63" swap, I played around with the silly LSBPV bracketry and linkages for about a month. Brakes were fine on the street, but offroad was a different matter as the extra travel was out of the stock unit's range of motion, by a lot. I am also converting to discs in the rear, by the way.

Warning! My .02:
Since you are radically changing your braking system, why make the assumption that your factory part (one that is arguably designed for drum brakes with a stock suspension setup) would apply the appropriate amount of line pressure? It might be possible to tweak things to get it to work but why? Guys here who did ditch the stock stuff haven't looked back, myself included. It's is possible to find a happy medium for settings, just takes a little time.

If you do have your heart set on keeping the LSBPV setup, I'm sure you can find someway to make it work, but to me it's a square peg in a round hole. Then again I could be completely full of shit, so prove me wrong and write a tech article on it!

Side note: SgtMunger, love your SAC setup, I have a couple of questions...

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Brakes were fine on the street, but offroad was a different matter as the extra travel was out of the stock unit's range of motion, by a lot.
Thank you, thats exactly the info I was looking for. I think FROR has one that screws right in to the existing lines, I'll pick up.
Side note: SgtMunger, love your SAC setup, I have a couple of questions...
Thanks! Fire away man....

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Thank you, thats exactly the info I was looking for. I think FROR has one that screws right in to the existing lines, I'll pick up.

Thanks! Fire away man....
Last one I got was 40 bucks at summit with all the fittings- just needed a loan a tool double flaring tool from Autozone and a cap for the rear-front return. Brian's is about 80 bucks I think...

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
As I understand it the disks are more sensitive to adjustment than the drums and it would be hard to do fine adjustments with the stock valve.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts