TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched for info on rebuilding brake calipers but haven't really found out what I need.
When braking my truck surges. I assume I have warped rotors. My pads are also low. Time for a brake job. With the miles I have, I would like to rebuild the front calipers (new pistons, boots, seals, ect.). My local dealer wants $25 per piston and $30 per caliper kit (Total about $250!!). Autozone wants $85 for a whole new caliper.
Does anyone know if a kit exists that includes new pistons, boots, seals and rings? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
you can get a boot kit from the dealer for fairly cheap. I wouldn't change out the pistons unless you can see noticable gouges or deformities. Get in contact with Jacque or Barb at www.trdparts4u.com. The FSM at www.deserted1.com/FSM has a write up to show to remove the pistons to get to the boots and seals. You need to have access to compressed air. While you are at it, you might as well give the calipers a good cleaning while they are off the truck.

·
Registered
801 Posts
There is a place out here called meyers that sells a caliper rebuild kit for about $11 per caliper. I rebuilt a set of tundra calipers before putting them on my 97. If you have questions let me know, I made a guide on how to rebuild them but never posted it.

Also, if your rotors are warped why not just make the switch to the tundra rotor/calipers and get it done right and be done with it. 199mm pre-TSB calipers can be found fairly cheap and the rotors are about the same price as the tacomas.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey thanks for the replies guys. The reason I wanted to change out the pistons is that some years back while doing a brake job I noticed one of the pistons was rusted and was not compressing (the truck would pull to one side during braking). I was able to get it out and clean it up but it wasn't smooth like it should be.

I don't plan on having the truck much longer, so maybe I'll just get new boot kits and new pads and rotors. I was thinking of getting the Brembo rotors, about the same cost as stock and then get some Hawk pads.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
One place that one does not want to skimp is on brakes. If you are looking at rebuilding a faulty caliper I would recommend for a little more money just replacing the whole thing with a loaded refurbished caliper and be done with it.

:welder:

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Why pass on your problem to someone else. You stated you our going to sell. The proper solution is fix them right and not have worry about the buyer. Remember what goes around comes around.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why pass on your problem to someone else. You stated you our going to sell. The proper solution is fix them right and not have worry about the buyer. Remember what goes around comes around.
You do have a valid point. Autozone wants $85 for each caliper. Anyone know of a better deal in SoCal?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Double check with AZ about getting loaded calipers. I know a couple guys that have olders Toyota pickups and they order a pair of calipers with the pads already in them. equals out to less then $100 ( after core trade in, shipping,etc)

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Either play with the internet or let your fingers do the walking in the yellow pages.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Know this is an old thread but just got this reply from ToyotaPartsSales in case anyone needs the part #'s....buying a whole new caliper sounds like cheaper option:

The caliper pistons are # 47731-04040, you will need 4 per caliper, total of 8
The rebuild kits are # 04479-04021, this one kit does both calipers.

The pistons are $15.58 a piece (x) 8 = $124.64.
The rebuild kits $21.90 a piece.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts