TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is is "normal" for the rear brake drums to rust together with the axle flange?? Been spraying it with penetrating fluid, doesn't seem to help?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Very. First time I took mine off was maybe a year after purchase, if that, and was also when I bought my first rubber mallet. :D

·
Registered
759 Posts
I'm not sure what oil you are using but try PB Blaster, good stuff. Also try to sand around the center hub with some sandpaper. When you get it off, apply a light coat of grease around the center hub.

Do the drums have a couple of threaded holes in them? If so, thread the proper size metric bolts into the holes and tighten. to not tighten too much because you can crack the drum face. With them tightened, hit the drum with a hammer.

·
Registered
233 Posts
The drums on my first gen Runners all have threaded holes for that very reason. Just drive in a couple of bolts and they come right off. I was told about the holes by a certified Toyota master mechanic. Works every time.

·
7,735 Posts
If you're still trying to get them apart use PB Blaster. Removing rust after you've gotten it all apart? Wire cup on a drill or angle grinder. That's what I used to clean up my frame, axles, etc.

Like this:

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
The threaded holes are 8x1.5 IIRC; they should have a 10mm head.

BFH, P'Blaster, heat?

Once I destroyed some shoes by forgetting about the park brake... whoops.

>>Dan

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
The threaded holes are 8x1.5 IIRC; they should have a 10mm head.

BFH, P'Blaster, heat?

Once I destroyed some shoes by forgetting about the park brake... whoops.

>>Dan
8/1.25 with a 12mm head (or 13 if your the "American" metric).

Hit it with your purse!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts