TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine is having a problem on his '02 Tacoma. It's a V6 2WD Prerunner, Auto tranny. Seems like just before he lets off the brake at a light the truck will jolt forward (it's really minimal, but still bothers him). Almost like the rotors are sticking to the pads for a split second. Any thoughts?

Another one of my friends is having the same problem on her '03 Double Cab.

·
Premium Member
3,442 Posts
Have you driven their vehicles? I seriously doubt the pads/brakes are sticking to each other. They're more likely to be experiencing axle wrap and feeling the unloading as they start to release the brake.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Stroke-

I didn't think the pads were actually sticking, it's just what it feels like. I agree with axle wrap - even though both trucks aren't lifted or modded. What aftermarket parts are out there for helping axle wrap?

·
Premium Member
3,442 Posts
Stroke-

I didn't think the pads were actually sticking, it's just what it feels like. I agree with axle wrap - even though both trucks aren't lifted or modded. What aftermarket parts are out there for helping axle wrap?
A trac-bar is about the only thing that I know of to address axle wrap. They are kind of a custom fit type thing and can be pricey. I haven't seen a bolt on type, just the weld on variety that require some tweaking to get it right. In the mean time, they need to make sure that the driveshaft is lubed up regularly (like add some grease every other oil change). Every mechanic I've ever spoke to says that they leave the factory with little to no lube and that's causes the binding when the leafs wrap. I know the first time I took mine to Theiles, they used over a full tube of grease to fill it up. It doesn't stop the wrap, but it does stop the binding which is what most people feel.

·
Premium Member
9,048 Posts
Stroke-

My truck had axle wrap much worse in stock form than it ever has. The easiest most cost effective solution I can think of would be to replace the stock springs in the rear with some decent aftermarket springs.

·
Premium Member
3,569 Posts
My truck had axle wrap much worse in stock form than it ever has. The easiest most cost effective solution I can think of would be to replace the stock springs in the rear with some decent aftermarket springs.
X2 - I noticed a drastic reduction in my axle wrap when I replaced the springs. In addition, as Stroke said, making sure the driveshaft is properly lubed will help.

·
Registered
27 Posts
a day after i bought my truck new, i brought it back in for that. they told me it was back-lash from the locker. i now exactly what your talking about, and its annoying. i took it in, got a service ticket on it, so when it does die, if ever, i can say, "you idiots said it was good!". that was back in dec of 02, and still running fine.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
a day after i bought my truck new, i brought it back in for that. they told me it was back-lash from the locker.
Backlash? OK..... :bs:

·
Premium Member
3,442 Posts
Backlash? OK..... :bs:
LOL, I thought the same thing when I read that. If the trucks came with a Detroit locker I could agree, but no way, not even with the factory e-locker. Some of the service people need to be kept away from the customers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts