TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard a bad grinding noise last night so today I got my truck up on stands and started looking around. The passenger rotor is grooved really bad. I hadn't felt anything different or heard anything until yesterday. The driver side is fine. Any ideas on what could cause this?

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
I had the same issue on my 96' a year ago, it was really random. My brakes worked fine on Sunday, but on Monday they were grinding TERRIBLY. It was only on the passenger side so I assumed it was a caliper. I tore everything down, the pad had been wearing grooves into the rotor and I guess it just got to the point where it was a metal to metal contact and that's where the grinding noise came from. I changed both pads and rotors on each side and everything was gravy after that. Both calipers ended up being just fine!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wslytoy- I think that is the same problem that mine is having. Mine is a 95 and i bought it used so I am finding bunches of fun stuff that wasn't taken care of. Did you replace everything yourself because I haven't worked on brakes besides bleeding them and would like to change the stuff myself.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
It's usually stray weld beads on the rotor that get me :eek:

Shouldn't be that hard to get to if you're slightly mechanically inclined.
Pretty easy actually. Calipers can be tied up and pads changed w/out disconnecting brakes- just be easier on yourself if you work the pistons back into the calipers as far as they will go with the old crap pads in there (big bar or I use a big set of channel locks personally).
Pretty straight forward- axle nut and wheel hub off if you have manual hubs, two bolts hold on the rotor. Never seen automatic hubs (alternative to manual in 95?), but should be the same.

Need a big socket for the axle nut- someone else should know size (I was thinking its same 54 mm as solid, but don't know for sure).

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
17Taco95 said:
wslytoy- I think that is the same problem that mine is having. Mine is a 95 and i bought it used so I am finding bunches of fun stuff that wasn't taken care of. Did you replace everything yourself because I haven't worked on brakes besides bleeding them and would like to change the stuff myself.

I did replace everything myself, it's really not difficult at all. I have ADD hubs, the rotor basically held on by the calipers, once you unbolt the caliper, tap the back side and it'll free up from the hub. So that part is really simple. Now, if you have manual locking hubs, you'll have to break down the hub and bust loose the spindle nut, or whatever you wanna call it. This large nut holds the rotor on the truck, so it can be a little more difficult to tackle the job. However, if you have access to air tools, it's a breeze. Or a really good breaker bar w/ a cheater bar :D. Either way, do it yourself(w/ a friend) so you'll know how to do it again later if necessary. Just make sure that you take the master cylinder cap off, b/c once you push the pistons back in the caliper all the way, that excess fluid needs to go somewhere and it's going to overflow out of the resevoir. Good luck.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
perfect responses on if it is easy. sounds like it should be pretty straight forward so I might be up and running again by he end of the week. if isn't straight forward ill be back on here.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Look around for an exploded diagram just to keep up with parts and if you have manual hubs just watch out for the wheel bearing preload if they are like the solid axles.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I finally got the rotors and pads for my brakes and started breaking everything down. The problem I have run into is that I cannot get the rotor off. it looks like it could just be whacked of with a bfh but that hasnt seemed to work. So i tried taking the hub off and the 6 bolts that hold the hub on have cone washers that i cant get out. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright, thanks to all the info I got the rotors on and calipers off with ease just some of the east coast rust sucked. I did however try to force the pistons back into the caliper but only one would go in at a time. Do i need to take some fluid out of the resevoir or does that mean they are in as far as they are going to go? thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts