TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so i'm planning on doing my brakes today. CHanging the pads and rotors which are thrashed, and changing the brake fluid. Here what i've got on my list of parts:

Have:
Non slotted or drilled brembo rotors
Hawk HPS pads

Need to get before i start:
CRC anti-squeal lubricant
brake fluid (any recommendations?)
brake cleaner to clean up my calipers
anti-squeal shims

Any other things i might need for this? I have a cousin coming to help me and i want to make sure i have everything we'll need so once we get started we can go without stopping. I've searched and that's how i've compiled the need to get list. Any other stuff i may need? Do i need any specialy tools i may not have already? THanks for all the help

·
Registered
218 Posts
Assuming you have all the basic hand tools, that's all you should really need. Sometimes a C-clamp is useful for pushing the piston in the caliper back, but you can use a screwdriver too. If you're changing the fluid, you'll be bleeding the brakes. You can buy a brake bleeder tool, which is basically a pump you put on the valve and it makes life easy. Or do it the old-fashioned way and just open the valve when your cousin pumps (and holds) the brakes...I suggest putting a hose on the valve to keep the fluid from soaking your parts. Brake fluid will remove paint.

Most of all, be certain to have a 12-pack for your cousin. It really sucks helping someone who doesn't have beer.... :xbeer2:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Second on the C-clamp. Needs to be at least a 4" one I think...the size of a slice of bread. When pushing the piston back in take the cap off the fluid reservoir and crank the handle of the clamp slowly. If you turn it fast, you'll shoot brake fluid out of the reservoir all over the engine...I've done it.

I'd also add rubber gloves (disposeable), and enough of that anti squeal to lube the brake bolts (the ones holding the calipers on) also. Oh and some big 8 or 10" zipties to hold the caliper assy up and outta the way while you get the rotors off. PB blaster or similar for the rotor mounting bolts...mine were rusted good.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
I have always used Bendix pads but lately have heard good things about Hawk pads. Let us know how they are, I might get those next round. I know for sure the Brembo rotors will be my next set. Good Luck!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome, thanks guys. Yeah, the brembo rotors were to cheap to not try out. I hear they have a higher heat tolerance which is why i tried them out and i've heard good things regarding the hawk HPS pads. Don't get the LTS ones, our trucks are too light for such a heavy duty pad. The HPS ones are fine. I'll let you know how everything goes though. THanks again for the help.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
sounds like you are good to go.....

as far as the brake fluid, only use dot 3 or 4, 4 is heavier duty than 3, but 3 is fine

some people think well ill get dot 5 because its better, well it is better, but it is silicon based and can not mix with dot 3 or 4

·
Registered
347 Posts
Not sure what brake cleaner your using but make sure you use it in a well ventilated area and dont spray it on any of the seals.
Also, once you open up a container of brake fluid use it and throw it out, you cant keep opened brake fluid. Brake fluid absorbs water and reduces its boiling point etc... Just fyi.

DOT 4 brake fluid has a higher boiling point but the down side is it degrades faster (absorbs moisture quicker than 3)
DOT 5 is a silicon brake fluid but they do make 5.1 which is compatible with 3 and 4 but very expensive. I am not sure if 5.1 eliminates the quicker H2O absorption problems of 4. I would personally just stick with what toyota put in there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts