TTORA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Try bleeding the brakes, If there is air in the system it make the computer think that the brakes are on causing the brake lights to stay on. Two it will cause the brake pedal to drop just enough to set off the light

·
Registered
565 Posts
You answered your own querstion: L o w F l u i d :banghead:

Thanks for spelling "brake" correctly.... :)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
My comes on and off and sometimes just stays. My fluid level is alright and the brakes were bled when I put in new pads recently so that is taken care of. I think that the e-brake can just tend to stick a bit, I know that other people besides me have had it stay on when nothing in fact is wrong.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Check fluid and also spray some lubricant on the E-brake return spring under the truck on the drivers side inside frame rail.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
sexy.taco said:
someone should PM Angry this thread... lol! :lmao:
I didnt know there was a brake fluid reservoir till recently. I thought it was permantly filled from the factory with Toyota Certified Fluid.

Once I found the reservoir, I finally was able to take the black tape off my dash that used to cover that brake light.

Toyota charged me $125 to fill it though. That damn Toyota Fluid is expensive!

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Just wait till it starts smoking under the hood and you have to get them to put stuff in the motor to make it stop.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I've got the same problem ('04 TRD taco). The resivour is full, and i've held the e-brake handle in and cycled it w/ the light staying on. it comes on during bumpy/fast driving (even w/ the handle held in (the swith is activated by the rod attatched to the handle))

·
Registered
39 Posts
mine dose this to but it is because the e brake leaver comes off of the back sensor so next time it happens just wiggle it around a little or push it in a little and it will turn right off i also think that there is a little spring that is worn out a little

·
Registered
33 Posts
Mine did that for a long time. It was a bad sensor in the reservoir. You can't just get the sensor alone, you have to replace the whole reservoir ($93 if I remember correctly). Now that I've done that the light only comes on when I apply the E-brake.

Cory

·
Registered
58 Posts
you could check and see if you have some slack on the emergency brake cable along frame under the cab. i adjusted my e-brake cable and my light has gone out. works wonders. when i put new rear brakes on my truck i will adjust it back out.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
my e-brake light comes on during turns and fast take-offs, low fluid, bad sensor, or brake hanging up?? any ideas?? :banghead:
there may be more to this then just adding fluid.

Your pads may need replaced. if their almost gone this will cause your fluid level to drop because they wont retract the entire way.

Let us know what you find

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have had this problem as well , the emergency brake needed to be adjusted.

Also if you have a manual tranny, if the clutch is getting old and wearinging down or your master/slave cylindar start to leak that reservoir can run low and that will trigger the brake light fluid as well...

Good luck!

·
Registered
680 Posts
.... if the clutch is getting old and wearinging down or your master/slave cylindar start to leak that reservoir can run low and that will trigger the brake light fluid as well...
Really? Is this true? I didn't think there was a sensor on the master/slave.... Learned somethin' new maybe...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
17 Participants
fear
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing