TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys please help if you can. I changed out my brakes/rotors almost a year ago and within the last couple of months the ABS has been freaking out.

At random times when Im applying my brakes in normal conditions and going slow my brakes automatically start doing the abs thing. (grinding not letting me brake). Im not pressing the brakes hard or anything just happens.

I checked my pads and the metal backing on the pads have slipped across the back of the pad. I went to autozone they didnt know how it happened either, but there are two different sizes of brake pads so i got the other size to see if there is any change.

Nope still doing the same thing. STILL the ABS comes on randomly when i try to brake.

Ive had the ABS light come on and off for 6 years like all the other people but never did it affect my brakes until recently.

Im gonna redo my brakes again tomorrow and do everything. if anyone knows whats up please let me know. I hate the fact that i cant trust my brakes.

THANKS!

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
The metal backing on the pad slipped across the back of the pad?

That makes no sense whatsoever.

Are you referring to the steel back of the pad?

Can you post a pic?

As far as the ABS goes, there is a sensor in there next to a ring with big teeth on it.

As that ring turns with the wheel, the sensor sends a pulse to a computer each tome a tooth goes by.

That's how it knows if the wheel is turning at a rate different than the others.

Is it possible that some part of the brake pad is getting in that sensor/ring setup?

Is the pad grinding metal off the disc?

Also, the ABS is on all four wheels.

Just because your front brake pads look funny, it doesn't necessarily mean that your rear brakes aren't the ones triggering the ABS.

You might want to take a peek at the rear brakes and ABS sensors too.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
OH!

O.K., that thing is there to make the pad quiet. It's usually soft aluminum.

Unless that piece gets caught up in something or jams the caliper somehow, it isn't going to matter at all.

Sure, replace the pads. But unless that noise canceler is making the brake drag and lock up it's not the cause of your ABS issue.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea i dont know if the are related but ive look around and it doesnt seem like thats a very common problem especially on two different sets of brake pads. and i have no idea why my abs engages for no reason.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Next time your ABS light is on, you can jump two pins on the diagnostic port under the hood. The ABS light will then flash a code telling you what is wrong. Check the online FSM for the exact procedure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts