TTORA Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 00 4runner v6 2wd 180k mi that the brakes all of sudden will not stop the vehicle. Pads i replaced today, rotors are less than 6mo old, and bled the front brakes. The brake pedal depresses about less than half way and and stops. If the brake pedal is held the idle increases to about 1100 rpm and goes back down to 600 rpm when released. I tested the check valve on the brake booster and air can be sucked out (not easily) through the valve and air couldn't be blown into valve. (which i think is okay) I get vacuum coming from the manifold. How can I test the other lines? Or rear brake ideas to fix this? Ive read forum after forum and post after post and cant find anything. What other tests can i perform on it to make sure that it is the brake booster Im hoping its not because i dont wanna shell out 200 bucks for a new one.

·
Registered
71 Posts
what happens when you repeatedly pump your brake pedal, does the idle drop really low, also does the pedal feel excessively hard when driving ? These are signs of a bad booster. To test booster,remove booster vaccum line and install tester line and fitting with mityvac pump on booster test line, pump mityvac to 12 to 15 psi and watch for leakdown to see if booster seals are leaking. Let us know what you find and good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts