TTORA Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick questions:

- How do you know the correct height adjustment to make the BPV bracket when doing a rear leaf spring install before you actually do it? I ask beacuse I live at the top of a fairly tall hill, want to install Dakars at my house, but don't want to die driving down the hill immediately thereafter. Can I just ballpark 2.25" of lift for the bracket beforehand, so I can have brakes after the install, or does it have to be measured PRECISELY after installing?

- Besides fabbing up a bracket out of scrap sheet metal (or similar), are there any other makeshift bracket suggestions? I don't have constant access to a metal shop, so I was wondering if there were other options out there that people have used.

Thanks for the help!
-Radar

·
Banned
3,446 Posts
The general rule is to raise it 1 inch for every inch of lift. Its not too big of a deal if its off a little.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found this thread the other day. It looks like a good and somewhat easier option.

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33469&highlight=bpv+bracket
You have got to be kidding me. I searched "BPV bracket," and all sorts of other variations, and I somehow missed the post titled "Can we (easily) fabricate a BPV bracket?" Wow, for being a Search and Rescue pilot, you think I'd be better at doing the first 50% of my job! :D

That sure looks to be easier! As long as it's sturdy, I suppose, I'll probably go that route.

Thanks!
-Radar

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
Just some extra info for you, if you look at that picture you posted up...the horizontal part of the BP bar (part coming off the BPV that is straight before the bend down) should be completely parallel with the ground.

If you use this as a "loose" rule of thumb it might help a little with initial adjustment.

If it is slightly at an inclined angle from the BPV your brakes will grab sooner, if declined...obviously the opposite effect will take place

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
Ballpark is fine. If you need any adjustments, just make them by bending the rod or adjusting with the threads.

Just adjust it till the rear brakes barely lock up on the pavement when you stab the brakes.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome, thanks! I have ABS, so I assume the "brake until it locks up" method may not work, but I get the jist of it. I appreciate the help!

-Radar

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
I would pull the abs relay so that you can do it without the ABS activated.

What about in 4wd? Doesn't the ABS switch off?

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
This may be stupid but I did the bolt deal and left the nut off on top of the bolt where the bracket can slide up 2" before yanking down on the lever- justification being that I don't want to loose all my brakes in the rear if I'm flexed out on the pass side. Vast majority of my weight is on the front end, I like the idea of the rears working, roughly, predictably in all situations- especially nose down hill.

·
Registered
578 Posts
how long is your full thread m8 bolt? what else if anything did you need for this

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Thats a good idea. I might be goin to Home Depot tommarow

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I used a 3" long 8mm bolt. I couldn't find an 8mm carriage bolt anywhere - even at hardware suppliers. But it seems to work just fine for me. You'll also need an 8mm double-female adaptor that allows you to attach the new bolt to the original bolt. I can't remember what that part is called, but it looks like a really thick nut, and you screw it half way on the original bolt and then screw the new bolt into the other half. Apparently I didn't take any pictures of that, but if you want one, just let me know and I can post one.

Good luck!
-Radar

·
Registered
226 Posts
Is relocating the bpv necessary wit ABS? I have noticed any braking issues with my 2" lift:confused:

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
People relocate it when it becomes a problem. If you're not having problems, don't worry about it.

I finally ditched my old setup and put an inline Wilwood valve in. Haven't had a chance to test it, bit it's a much cleaner setup, and you don't need that pesky return line anymore.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Where are you guys getting these 2 1/2 to 3 inch fully threaded m8 bolts at? I cant find any fully threaded ones and none longer than 1 1/2 to 2 inches. I have tried everywhere in town. Even the commercial fastener dealer.

·
Registered
226 Posts
After installing my Alcans, my rear lift was 2.5-3". I definatelty felt a decrease in braking power under hard braking. Ordered the adjustable bracket from Wheelers (about $10.) and all is well again. ABS just keeps your wheel from locking. The BPV will decrease braking to the rear axle with any lift.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I had to look at quite a few places, and ended up finding it at a commercial fastner place in Honolulu. The one I found was only about 3" long, though, and it was the biggest they had. To be honest, I'm not sure it was even long enough. I may end up un-doing it and getting the bracket Tacotex mentioned from Wheelers.

-Radar

1 - 19 of 19 Posts