TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this is posted in the right location....

My dilema:

Bought the Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors for my 2000 Prerunner from Wheelers Off-Road and installed them in August. I also got Ceramic pads from Centric Posi-Quiet off their site as well.

Now my problem: I got these to eliminate the vibrations and shuttering I was getting with my stock brakes. Well, the problem seems to be back now. Its does the normal brake shutter symptoms (more at high speeds, less at low speeds). Its really bad going from about 65mph down to a stop at a constant depress of the brake pedal. Under 40 mph its okay for the most part.

First Question: What could be wrong with my truck to go through rotors like this? Could it be a Caliper problem? Wheel Bearings?

Second Question: Has anyone dealt with returns or exchanges with Wheelers Off-Road? Is it even possible to exchange the rotors now? I have only gone about 6000 miles on them. I would call now, but its Saturday and they aren't open.

Third Question: I have read alot about turning slotted and drilled rotors and I have called about 35 shops here in the Bay Area and Sacramento, and can't seem to find a shop that can do it while its still on the truck (why do I want to get them turned on the truck? Because it will give me the truest resurface).

Sorry about the long post, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Robert

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
nobody huh?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
This getting them turned on the truck thing is new to me. Is that even possible?? I guess I don't know how that is any more true than having them done on a machine... :confused:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, Im not too sure about them being the truest when on the vehicle because I don't have much experience with brakes, but my Father has been a Mechanic for 35 years (I'm not going to question his knowledge) and that is what he said. Something about Calipers and axles and all that jazz stuff. I'm sure someone on this board knows about it....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Some would have you believe that warped rotors is not actual physical warping of the rotor but rather deposits on your rotor causing variations in braking. (turning the rotor would remove the deposits - or if indeed physical warpage happened - would remove that warpage as well).

YMMV - but you may try re-bedding in of your brakes. If that didn't work try taking a green scrub pad to your rotors and removing the buildup. If that didn't work get them turned.

/farkin' newb (though I actually posted on the old board once a decade as well).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts