TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
225K miles, 01 taco often carrying loads.
Time for new rotors/pads. Any definitive recommendations? I see a lot of soft pad compounds but without ABS should I stay away from those?
I'm on 265/75/16 M&S tires, Icon coils, OME Dakars, and often have a load of lumber/gravel.
I don't mind replacing pads more often but don't want to be locking up in the rain when unloaded.

Also, just replaced rear shoes because parking brake was useless...turns out new shoes did nothing but scuffing the drums worked.
Should I just get new drums or is the glazing issue fixed? Drums are original at 225K miles.
Cheers,
Jon

·
Registered
2001 DDSB Tacoma, 2002 4Runner with bumpers and lift, 2008 Rav4
13 Posts
I’d say the glazing issue is fixed. My 01 Taco with nearly the same mileage and use also has a pulsing pedal from front rotor warping I believe. The rear parking brakes have a tendency to seize the lever where they enter the drums. If they do the brakes drag and will reglaze the drums as well as heat up the drums. This prevents the shoes from retracting fully. You might check these by pulling on the cables by hand and watching the levers to see if they are free. I’d opt for a name brand pad and rotor combination and not agonize over it. I drove most of my life w/o anti-locks and except for icy or snow I find no real issues. Pump the brakes if slippery. I’ll be interested in your choice and feedback as I am getting tired of the pulsing.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
The rear parking brakes have a tendency to seize the lever where they enter the drums. If they do the brakes drag and will reglaze the drums as well as heat up the drums. This prevents the shoes from retracting fully. You might check these by pulling on the cables by hand and watching the levers to see if they are free.
I recently did the rears on my 02 and thought that was the problem I was having. I had actually purchased replacement bellcranks.
Turned out the lever(bellcrank)was fine, it was another linkage inside the drum that had become almost completely siezed.

As far as rotors and pads I only have experience with the OEM, although I have seen some give positive feedback on Powerstop rotors/pads used on other trucks.

·
Registered
2002 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4x4
212 Posts
225K miles, 01 taco often carrying loads.
Time for new rotors/pads. Any definitive recommendations? I see a lot of soft pad compounds but without ABS should I stay away from those?
I'm on 265/75/16 M&S tires, Icon coils, OME Dakars, and often have a load of lumber/gravel.
I don't mind replacing pads more often but don't want to be locking up in the rain when unloaded.

Also, just replaced rear shoes because parking brake was useless...turns out new shoes did nothing but scuffing the drums worked.
Should I just get new drums or is the glazing issue fixed? Drums are original at 225K miles.
Cheers,
Jon
I have had this problem with my Tacoma since the first time I went to Big Bear back in 2002; after several and expensive solutions I came up with the one that works for my truck that can be loaded up to 6500 lbs when on travel.
I found that the Drilled and Slotted Rotors work best, don't buy the cheap stuff; recently my mechanic changed my Brake pads for the front with thicker and softer pads to allow less glazing or build-up that can make sounds as if they are on the markers. So far so good, no problems.

·
Registered
2002 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4x4
212 Posts
Wow, that is going wayyy back. I feel like I remember meeting you then, or maybe it was Big Bear 2003.
We may have met, I usually ran with the OG Crowd with my son Timothy. If you remember Mickey Bombs at Calico Ghost Town - Duran, Pismo, L-Hill at the Indian Reservation near Warner Springs - I was the one who climbed L-Hill, not just the Left but also the Right side, TDS, Borrego Springs, John Bull, White Mountain or Deep Creek I was there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts