TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm helping replace their brake system on a 1985 4Runner and needed to make sure I wasn’t missing anything on the shopping list. I plan on replacing everything except front brake lines and although there is a rear disk conversion kit, it's not in the plans.

-Master Cylinder
-Steel Braided Extended Brake Hoses (Lifted 6 Inches)
(front)
-Outer Wheel Bearings
-Inner Wheel Bearings
-Calipers
-Rotors
-Pads
(rear)
-Drums
-Shoes

Not sure if there are seals in the rear that can\ should be replaced or anything that should be looked at while we're elbow deep in this for the day. Am I missing anything? Any recommendations on brand or any shops that carry good deals for any or all of it?

All input is welcome and appreciated.

·
Split it open-Eat it out!
659 Posts
have you thought about rebuilding the knuckles? Now would be a great time to do it since you're taking everything apart.

Go with the V6 style calipers for the front, I believe these can be found for 88 model year and above.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. What's the difference in the calipers and will they bolt directly?
2. What's all involved in rebuilding the knuckles?

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you are going that far might as well do:
Front wheel seals
Front knuckel seals (Marlin for ~$100)
Front innner axle seal (they all leak) - get the OEM Toyota ones
Repack the Birfeilds
You may want to consider new hardware too.

Convert to vented front rotors using:
FJ40-60 vented rotors
86 to 95 4cyl IFS calipers or 88 to 95 IFS V6 calipers. Bolt in deal, minor trimming on the backing plate only. If you go to the V6 calipers you may want to use the 1.00 inch MC (from a V6 truck)
<BTW - drilled / slotted solid rotors are a waste of $ IMHO>

Do you REALLY need to replace all that stuff? Seems like the only thing that ever wears out is the shoes / pads.
Marlin had good deals on service parts.
Be sure to get a 1-man brake bleeder, lots of brake spray (autozone-.99 ea), rags, grease, and brake fluid.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool deal, I'll look into the rotors and calipers. Your saying an FJ40 or 60 rotor is vented and will work on his SA with an 88-95 V6 Caliper with some minor trim on the backing plate? Have any links to someone that's done this so I can check it? Is the caliper larger? I know I like the idea of a vented disk up front so I'd really like to check it out to see if we could do it.

I'm replacing so many things in the braking system for 2 reasons: 1. My friend just bought the truck and who knows when the last time ANY of it was looked at although we know the brakes have been neglected. He plans on wheeling it, so it's not a bad idea to start fresh and know that everything is new. 2. He's never done a brake job and I would like to show him more than just ripping pads and shoes out.... kind of give him a good understanding of all that is involved. If it were my truck, it would stay on stands for a few days and do the axle seals and knuckles as well as getting into the 3rd Member but since this is his daily driver, I'll have to save that lesson and maintenance for another time.

·
Split it open-Eat it out!
659 Posts
Munssey said:
Cool deal, I'll look into the rotors and calipers. Your saying an FJ40 or 60 rotor is vented and will work on his SA with an 88-95 V6 Caliper with some minor trim on the backing plate? Have any links to someone that's done this so I can check it? Is the caliper larger? I know I like the idea of a vented disk up front so I'd really like to check it out to see if we could do it.
http://www.marlincrawler.com/brake.html

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173918

Some folks like to swap out their solid rotors for vented rotors. This is a simple and somewhat inexpensive modification. I did this swap because my brakes were getting very hot and making some very annoying noises. If you can change your brakes you should not have any problem with this swap.

All you need are rotors from an '81 and up Toyota LC FJ40 and calipers from an IFS Toyota (86+ P-up or 4Runner).

The Landcruiser rotors are wider because they are vented but otherwise fit right on with no other modification besides the caliper.
The caliper comes in two flavors... one has two larger pistons and two smaller, and another has four pistons that are the same size. The ones with four large pistons would technically give you more braking force. I used the same pads because mine were still fairly new... so you don't need new pads unless yours are low.

stolen from Pirate bb ;)

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found this on the pirate board too (for anyone who might follow this thread at a later time and want the same info)

"Master Cylinder Larger

In addition to the Rotor swap, some people like to put bigger MCs in so that they have more fluid movement.

In this case, you want to acquire a Master Cylinder for a V6 P-up. It should be the 1" Bore. This is pretty much a bolt in replacement. Requiring you to move some brake lines slightly at worst."

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also, it looks like this job requires the wheel studs to be removed (pressed in) so if anyone's counting, I'd put new wheel studs on the list of things to replace.

Couldnt hurt, right?

·
Banned
1,521 Posts
I'd stick with Toyota brake shoes for the rear. I just went through hell with the brake shoes on wheelers site. I ended up paying the $74 bucks for the Toyota stuff.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Munssey said:
Anyone know a part number or a specific year for the 1 inch bore master cyldr that will bolt up???
Dealer.

I just did a rear disc conversion using All-Pros kit and a FJ80 MC. Works MUCH better than those drums. Next up is a driveshaft t-case mounted parking brake. I got some pics and details on my website. CLICKY

:welder:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts