TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
01 tacoma. 119,XXX miles on it. I need to replace the rotors, and was wondering if the slotted ones are any good, and where should I look to find the best prices to rotors?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,173 Posts
everything and every type of equipment has it's place, depends on what you want your truck to do.

For rock crawling, not so good. for speed applications works pretty good. Will warp if you look at them wrong or get them wet while hot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,598 Posts
kawman10 said:
01 tacoma. 119,XXX miles on it. I need to replace the rotors, and was wondering if the slotted ones are any good, and where should I look to find the best prices to rotors?

I have drilled and slotted rotors from lc engineering matched with ceramic pads..........they work good and i have had no issues..........I can't say that they really improved my braking any but they work good and they were not really that expensive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,865 Posts
I have power slot rotors and Hawk performance pads. They have helped a great deal with fading. I only had the stockers on for 12000 miles before the change. I changed them after a trail ride that by the end of the ride I had to stand on my brake pedal to even think of stopping.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
552 Posts
It would be great if someone made a rotor that can stand the heat and the water without warping. We have to drive several miles up and down the mountains and around the curves that require breaking . Most of my off road trips include crossing many streams and in fact, some of the road beds are large streams. We have one mining road that requires you to drive at least two miles right up the middle of a stream about 1' deep. Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Cheap rotors will warp faster than good ones. Spend the $ on good ones and you will not regret it.

Slotted rotors and drilled rotors are supposed to cool better. They probably do given an apples to apples comairison. However, most of the slotted or drilled rotors out there are still cheaper than a good set from a reputable not China supplier.

I have had excellent luck with NAPA premium (made in Canada) rotors and their top of the line ceramic pads. I have had terible luck with the cheap China rotors from Napa and AutoZone.

You will get what you pay for. I think that is why you drive a Toyota and not a Chevy?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
I have Powerslot Slotted and Cryo treated rotors with Hawk HPS pads. www.buybrakes.com is where I got them.
Had them for just about 15,000 miles. I checked the pads on my last oil change/rotate and they are still about 1/2" thick.

I bought them mostly for bling. I guess I'm having withdrawals from having a sporty car. ATE makes a trick looking set of rotors for Tacomas.

I took extra care and made sure they bedded in after I installed them. I have put them through hell and they have not "warped".
I even locked them up once while avoiding an accident. I thought for sure they were done for. They smelled bad but they did not "warp".

I have driven them through one stream (7 oaks), a day at the dunes(parker), a day in the snow(mammoth), numerous mountain trips to the snow(but not really IN it mammoth, wrightwood, bigbear, 7 oaks). Not to mention daily LA stop go traffic.

My oem pad/rotor set up "warped" and would fade when driving mountain roads. It would fade pretty bad. I could feel it sometimes when in bad stop go traffic too. I think they were "warped" from the previous owner though.

BTW: Rotors don't warp they develop high and low spots from the rotors wearing away quicker in some spots more than others or from built up brake pad material that is stuck to the rotor.



And in my opinion a good pad/Blank Rotor(oem, Brembo, even Autozone)/Brake Fluid combo combined with proper instillation and bedding in will perform as well as any slotted set up. Good brakes are more in the pad and fluid than in the rotor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
772 Posts
Get a set of Toyota Pads and then buy these...

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brakes.jsp?&make=Brembo&model=Replacement+Rotor&group=Replacement+Rotor&autoMake=Toyota&autoModel=Tacoma+4wd+Xtra+Cab&autoYear=2001&autoModClar=&perfCode=P

Best rotors I've had on any of my trucks. They're relatively cheap ($41ea), perform great, don't fade, and don't warp easily. Dont waste your money on any rotors that come in a white box (china rotors) from the local parts stores. They won't last and will glaze the first time they get a workout.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
587 Posts
KANEMAN23 said:
Get a set of Toyota Pads and then buy these...

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brakes.jsp?&make=Brembo&model=Replacement+Rotor&group=Replacement+Rotor&autoMake=Toyota&autoModel=Tacoma+4wd+Xtra+Cab&autoYear=2001&autoModClar=&perfCode=P

Best rotors I've had on any of my trucks. They're relatively cheap ($41ea), perform great, don't fade, and don't warp easily. Dont waste your money on any rotors that come in a white box (china rotors) from the local parts stores. They won't last and will glaze the first time they get a workout.
Agreed. Brembo blanks are really really great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,479 Posts
ohio03trdtaco said:
I have power slot rotors and Hawk performance pads. They have helped a great deal with fading. I only had the stockers on for 12000 miles before the change. I changed them after a trail ride that by the end of the ride I had to stand on my brake pedal to even think of stopping.
X2!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,467 Posts
X2 on the Autozone rotors. I'm on my second set of pads and the rotors haven't shown any sign of warpage.

Also, as far as I know, you can't remachine slotted rotors so if they become warped or damaged, they will need to be replaced.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
That is true about slotted and/or cross drilled rotors.
They should not be re surfaced. I have resurfaced a set once but it was only to remove a less that 1/32" of surface rust from storage and they were still fine. But if you have excessive wear you will need to buy a new set.

Autozones work great and they have a warranty I think. Just make sure you bed them in and they will last.

Like I said above in my big post. Good brakes are in the pads and fluid not in the rotor.
Solid proof is in what allot of HPDE drivers use. Autozone blanks, Cobalt GT Pads and ATE fluid.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top