TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the powerstop slotted and drilled rotors a good choice? My front brakes basically suck and with the 33's i need something that works well!! I hear mixed opinions on slotted/drilled rotors so i need some respectable opinions! thanks guys

·
Registered
892 Posts
Are the powerstop slotted and drilled rotors a good choice? My front brakes basically suck and with the 33's i need something that works well!! I hear mixed opinions on slotted/drilled rotors so i need some respectable opinions! thanks guys
I don't believe drilled/slotted rotors are gonna improve your braking for daily usage - they're generally to help get rid of 'heat' faster in extreme situations (racing, etc).

You might want to look at upgrading your calipers also....

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
I put drilled/slotted rotors and ceramic pads on my Tacoma when I was using it to tow with. I noticed a difference. They will dissipate the heat faster.

A good bleed/new fluid does wonders too,

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't believe drilled/slotted rotors are gonna improve your braking for daily usage - they're generally to help get rid of 'heat' faster in extreme situations (racing, etc).

You might want to look at upgrading your calipers also....

i have the updated calipers though, they updated them in 03. I know theres a TSB for larger/heavier rear drums which im going to get, but i dont want to turn my stock rotors again since that would make them really thin, so im looking at new rotors.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
If you've already done the caliper TSB, upgrading really depends on where the perceived problem lies.

If they're juddering, try cryo treating a set of rotors, and also change your driving habits...look at Stoptech's white papers regarding "warped" rotors.

Also consider the BBK, but you'll need to run 17" rims and it's expensive. Maybe an option, maybe not.

Last thing would be a manual proportioning valve and possibly a switch to rear disks. The stock load proportioning valve is decent, but you'll get better braking performance as the weight ratio moves toward 50/50 (ie loaded bed, or move batteries etc. to the rear) and as the brake proportioning is dialed better for an empty bed.

Either way, it's a lot of money and can be tricky if you go the rear disk/manual valve route. The least painless, most performance option is the BBK.

FWIW I've been running Wheeler's crossdrilled and cryo'd rotors with Porterfield C/K pads for almost 70K now, on the same rotors. I had a bit of trouble with juddering when I did the break-in, due to a construction stop & hold at the bottom of a hill during break in :mad: but since it was just a buildup of pad material I was able to drive gently and remove the problem through normal use :D. Haven't had a problem since, on the second set of pads now, rotors look great. I also don't do the "stop & hold" number that screws up rotors so bad.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i looked at the ones on wheelers off road, not too badly priced. Im looking between them, the powerstop drilled/slotted rotors and the plain brembo rotors. I will use toyota OE pads no matter what

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
i looked at the ones on wheelers off road, not too badly priced. Im looking between them, the powerstop drilled/slotted rotors and the plain brembo rotors. I will use toyota OE pads no matter what
Can't go wrong with any of those three rotor choices. Maybe also read over some of MEvang's comments in the Brake forum on TS, he's got a lot of good advice...he'd steer you toward the standard rotors, no frills, drills or slots.

Changing your braking habits really does help...my dad is pretty bad, hauling ass up to the red light followed by the slam 'n' hold on the brakes...it bakes material on to the rotor and they'll start juddering. G/F did it too for a while, she's sorted it out and hasn't had a problem since replacing the rotors she accidentally trashed...not really her fault, mine (I did it on my truck initially) or yours, just something few people are aware of that'll really help on your next set of rotors ;).

-Sean

·
Registered
382 Posts
The rotors from wheelers are really good, plus like you said the price is right. don't use the oem pads tho. OEM pads and Part store pads are just harder and designed to last longer. Not really to provide better braking power. Try some like the Porterfield Carbon Kevlar pads. You should be able to notice a significant differance in stopping power with the rotors and good pads. Especially when hauling loads.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts