TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 95.5 Taco, and i am experiancing a problem with the two metal shields that are mounted to the inside of the brake rotors. i think that they are there to keep the road grit off of the rotors and out of the calipers. mine aren't doing me any good, they are completely rusted out. does anyone know where i can get new ones??? or even what they are called, :confused: i have checked my Haines manual, but there was no mention of them.

any help woulld be great,

thanks!

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,525 Posts
You have to completely remove the hub to replace those. Either that or you can cut them in half, bolt them on, then tack weld them back together. If I were you, I'd just remove them and not worry about replacing them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you mean just cut them off, and not worry about removing the hub. will removing them affect braking performance?

·
Registered
232 Posts
I think mostly they help keep water off the disks. If it were me, I'd at least wait until I had to do a brake job or perhaps even a CV joint repair if you're lifted. No sense in incurring that much labor for a couple of pieces of sheet metal of dubious value.

And yea, I think he meant cut them off. I suspect they are a dealer item only.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
alright, thanks guys, i will just leave them there until my i replace my rotors. its not like they are in the way.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,525 Posts
you mean just cut them off, and not worry about removing the hub. will removing them affect braking performance?
Yes, just cut them off. The shield just keeps debris off the rotors. Not a real big issue anyways.

To replace them properly, you have to remove the whole hub assembly, which means pressing off the hub and wheel bearing. Not something you really want to do if you dont need to. So, if you do plan on replacing the shield, just cut the new one in half, bolt it on, then tack weld the seam together.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I wouldn't worry about replacing them either. With mine they seem to keep more crud in than out. As an example, I did some urban wheelin' at my brother's jobsite. I sunk down into a pile of dirt that had been freshly dug, so it was soft and powdery. After I got out, the sheet metal held in a bunch of little pebbles, making my brakes squeek. After a few bucks at the carwash, the problem was solved, but the sqeeking was sure annoying.

·
Premium Member
4,982 Posts
toss em when you tear down for brakes or cv repair, in the mean time if it rubs just pry it away with a pry bar

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I was able to get mine off by just twisting them and then sliding them off. That is likely because mine are also less then structurally sound. I still put them back on though, I think I asked this question at the time I was doing a wheel bearing and the advice was keep them on. Could this be that you are in the west and I am in the muddy northeast?

·
Registered
344 Posts
The piece is called a Splash Shield. Probably can do without them, but that depends on how much mudding you do. I had a bud that took them off and it seemed like he got a lot more mud and debris in his calipers/rotors than I did.

According to my part list they cost about $55 a piece.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no, i am in Maine. we get a lot of salt on the roads during the winter and alot of mud in the spring. i have had issues with small pebbles getting caught in the calipers and squeaking for quite some time, and it is annoying!!! maybe i will just cut the old ones off, see how it brakes, and if the squeaks stop, so much the better!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Unless you want to worry about taking down the hubs, just cut them down and don't worry about them. They will stay cooler in warm weather.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Brake shields, and other ramblings.

Believe it or not, I just took the front brakes off my car for the first time since I got it. (actually, I think I put new pads on it right after I got it... 7 years ago.) Mainly to see how the dust shields were attached and remove them. I noticed that the inner wheel bearing seats against the dust shields. Did you guys keep the center part of the shield and trim it off? or remove it completely?
Also, can you get that cloth seal, or whatever it is behind the dust shield? I've never seen anything like it before.

I can't believe how good my brakes look, after 25,000 miles, dozens of autocrosses, and a couple of open track events.
They overheated at the opentrack events, even with the ducts, but the pads have so much material, they almost look new. The rotors are also in great shape... I'm tempted to just throw it back together, and hope they'll stay cooler and not fade as bad without the shields...
Naw, I'll probably upgrade the pads at least, and put on some braided lines.
I also run synthetic brake fluid.

I'd like to upgrade to the 12.19 wilwoods, but don't need the hassle... maybe this winter. Besides, I can't find anyone who can get them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You probobly shouldnt take them completely off. It would be fine to cut the the exposed parts off but if you remove the intire thing it will mes with the clearence of the tire and something else in there. Im not completely sure. Im too lazey to find the website that makes them bunt there is a ring that bolts into place and it maintains factory spacing. Take my word for it.:2cents:

·
Registered
513 Posts
When I put my LT kit on I had to take them off. I just unbolted the 4 bolts on there and cut it with some metal shears. I'm glad they're off.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Chop them out they cause less trouble when ther gone you won't notice it at all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts