TTORA Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted last week about having a brake problem that I couldn't figure out. The problem was inconsistant travel of the brake pedal, sometimes the brakes would be firm and other times the pedal would be mushy and go to the floor. I also noted that the problem was magnified in 4x4. Here's what I found:

After noticing the fluid level in the reservoir INCREASE I suspected something was pushing the pads back and creating slack. A friend of mine pulled on the driver's side front wheel from the 12 o'clock position as I watched and noticed the wheel had more movement than it should. It was determined that the wheel bearing was bad and as the rotor would wobble it would push the pads apart and force the fluid back up to the reservoir. Therefore, the mushy feeling in the pedal was from pushing the fluid back down and taking up the slack between the pads and the rotor.

FYI, I have the Fabtech 6" with about 4500 miles on it now and about 1500 when this problem began. There was a guy here last year that had a problem with his wheel bearings with the Fabtech 6" and I have tried to contact him to see if this problem is related. I'll let y'all know what I hear.

This one took me a while to figure out. After numerous brake bleedings and a new master cylinder and no solution I was ready to pull my hair out. Good thing I shave my head.
-Adam
NMTTORA

·
Long lost Taco Owner
820 Posts
jung4x4 said:
I posted last week about having a brake problem that I couldn't figure out. The problem was inconsistant travel of the brake pedal, sometimes the brakes would be firm and other times the pedal would be mushy and go to the floor. I also noted that the problem was magnified in 4x4. Here's what I found:

After noticing the fluid level in the reservoir INCREASE I suspected something was pushing the pads back and creating slack. A friend of mine pulled on the driver's side front wheel from the 12 o'clock position as I watched and noticed the wheel had more movement than it should. It was determined that the wheel bearing was bad and as the rotor would wobble it would push the pads apart and force the fluid back up to the reservoir. Therefore, the mushy feeling in the pedal was from pushing the fluid back down and taking up the slack between the pads and the rotor.

FYI, I have the Fabtech 6" with about 4500 miles on it now and about 1500 when this problem began. There was a guy here last year that had a problem with his wheel bearings with the Fabtech 6" and I have tried to contact him to see if this problem is related. I'll let y'all know what I hear.

This one took me a while to figure out. After numerous brake bleedings and a new master cylinder and no solution I was ready to pull my hair out. Good thing I shave my head.
-Adam
NMTTORA
There are 2 people that have bearing failures with the Fabtech kit, one was from not installing the inner seal and the other was from pressing on the wrong surface of the bearing. Did you install the lift or did a shop?

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Didn't see that one coming...Glad you fixed it..

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ptrautne said:
There are 2 people that have bearing failures with the Fabtech kit, one was from not installing the inner seal and the other was from pressing on the wrong surface of the bearing. Did you install the lift or did a shop?
I was hoping you'd see this. I sent you an Email as well because I remembered you having trouble with the wheel bearings.

I did install the lift myself, but I took the knuckles to a shop to have them do the press work. I'm very curious as to how a bearing would go out in 1500 miles. I'll keep you posted with what I find.

-Adam
NMTTORA

·
Long lost Taco Owner
820 Posts
jung4x4 said:
I was hoping you'd see this. I sent you an Email as well because I remembered you having trouble with the wheel bearings.

I did install the lift myself, but I took the knuckles to a shop to have them do the press work. I'm very curious as to how a bearing would go out in 1500 miles. I'll keep you posted with what I find.

-Adam
NMTTORA
I did not have any problems with with my bearings but have helped others find there problems. If you press on the inner race when pressing the bearing into the steering knuckle you can bend the cage in the bearing which would cause the rollers to wear and the bearing to get sloppy. Also if you forgot the inner seal, water and dirt can get into the bearing and cause excessive wear in a short time. If you go to the shop that pressed the bearing, ask to see what die they used to press the bearing in. I did the press work my self because I could not find a shop that had the correct size dies to do the press work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.