TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i find when im driving at speeds of 40 to 70 that when i go to the brakes they start vibrating and pulsating soo bad its like shaking the whole damn truck. I havent really noticed it driving in town. The front brake pads were brand new 5k miles ago. The only thing i can think of, would be warped rotors or the rear brakes need adjusting....i know there was a recall for 00-02 tundras but mines an 03 with the upgraded calipers. anyone know whats my problem?

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
definately sounds like a warped rotor...altough a bad alignment could also cause the shimmy when braking at higher speeds as well.

·
Registered
40 Posts
yeah sounds like the rotors.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Take it back to the dealer and reference the following TSB's

1. BR003-02 (rear brake vibration)
4/4/2005 - 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 Toyota Tundra. New brake drums have been introduced for use as service parts on 2000 – 2005 model year Tundra trucks to reduce rear brake vibration. The new drum has increased mass and rigidity.

2. BR004-02 (front brake vibration)
4/4/2005 - 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 Toyota Tundra. Under certain usage conditions, some Tundra trucks may exhibit front brake vibration. Improvements have been made to various brake components to help improve this condition.

or and additional TSB...
3. BR005-06 Inconsistent or unusual brakge feeling
3/17/2006 - 2003 – 2005 model year Tundra vehicles produced BEFORE the Production Change Effective VINs in this TSB.

Some customers may experience a slightly lower brake pedal feel intermittently. A new brake pad anti-squeal shim service part has been developed to address this concern.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Get used to it, Tundra brakes suck! Why do you think they advertise so heavily that the brakes on the new Tundra's are so big; it is because the ones on the earlier models were so poorly designed. This is an example of where the Taco carryover parts can't handle the task. After too many trips to the stealer, and numerous parts replaced multiple times on TSB's, they still suck.

I get the wobble whenever I apply them lightly, and can make the right front ABS kick in at my leisure.

This is nothing new for Toyota; I have lived with front rotors that are easily warped on every Toyota truck I have owned....except maybe the FJ-55, because it was so slow the brakes never had to work very hard.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I am almost 100 percent sure its the rotor... check it out

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Take it back to the dealer and reference the following TSB's

1. BR003-02 (rear brake vibration)
4/4/2005 - 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 Toyota Tundra. New brake drums have been introduced for use as service parts on 2000 – 2005 model year Tundra trucks to reduce rear brake vibration. The new drum has increased mass and rigidity.

2. BR004-02 (front brake vibration)
4/4/2005 - 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 Toyota Tundra. Under certain usage conditions, some Tundra trucks may exhibit front brake vibration. Improvements have been made to various brake components to help improve this condition.

or and additional TSB...
3. BR005-06 Inconsistent or unusual brakge feeling
3/17/2006 - 2003 – 2005 model year Tundra vehicles produced BEFORE the Production Change Effective VINs in this TSB.

Some customers may experience a slightly lower brake pedal feel intermittently. A new brake pad anti-squeal shim service part has been developed to address this concern.

Dyogim: bringing this up just because i picked up the tundra from the dealer today to fix the damn check engine light that was on. However i mentioned my brakes being different and if they had any info on this for my trucks year. The guy said no and immediately stated "don't listen to that interent stuff, people get on there and hooplah about stuff they have no clue about".....i didnt have these TSB numbers with me, but i definitely will be going back with them. Think theres anything else i should know about?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts