TTORA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First off the specs. '98 Taco , full floating rear w/ discs and 4cyl "mini" calipers ground down a touch, on all Fours. No parking brake (it's a trail only rig). Stock BPV w/ the BPV "spring" chopped off and sitting in a homemade bracket that alows about 1" of movement up and down (I know it's ghetto, but don't think it has anything to do with my issue)

After first converting, my brakes were a bit soft, just like many have expeirienced, after thorough bleeding they worked just fine for a couple of trips. On my last trip out I noticed the tires sliding a bit going down steep inclines, and the truck wanted to stop by itself. It got so bad that I had to crack a bleeder valve to release pressure to get off the trail. When I got home I put it on stands, spinned the tires, and indeed all Four were binding.

I thought it may have been one of the MC springs not returning and releiving pressure, or a bad seal. Possibly a kink in a line somewhere. After inspecting all the lines and finding no issues I went to the MC. Rebuilt the MC, bleed the entire system, and still they are binding.

My next thought is that it could be in the vacuum booster. Maybe a damaged diaphram, bad return spring. That might make sence, but the pedal seems to return OK, a little slow, but it will come back up.

I also thought about the calipers. Could grinding on the cast have heated them up enough to tweek the cast, and cause the pistons to not release? If so all four of them?? And I know plenty of folks that have ground their calipers with no issues!

I'm really baffled guys! Could be something very simple that my noobness is over looking. Any suggestions?!?!

·
Registered
230 Posts
I would re-check the E-brake. Make sure you pull back as you turn the lever and release it all the way forward. Maybe even push on it and make sure the E-brake indicator on the dash goes out.

Are you sure you bled the brakes correctly? Make sure you start with the furthest wheel from the master cylinder and the closest last. Here's an excellent article on how to do it:

http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/sextips/bedplay.html

Lastly, make sure you aren't resting your foot on the brake pedal as you drive. Even a slight amount of pressure would apply the brakes as you drive.

Hope this helps!! ;)

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would re-check the E-brake. Make sure you pull back as you turn the lever and release it all the way forward. Maybe even push on it and make sure the E-brake indicator on the dash goes out.

Are you sure you bled the brakes correctly? Make sure you start with the furthest wheel from the master cylinder and the closest last. Here's an excellent article on how to do it:

http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/sextips/bedplay.html

Lastly, make sure you aren't resting your foot on the brake pedal as you drive. Even a slight amount of pressure would apply the brakes as you drive.

Hope this helps!! ;)
WOW!! I never would've thought about all that!!! I really need to pay more attention to how much pressure I'm applying to the pedal!

How about this, re-read post #1, and get over your first bit of body damage in years....Then go ahead and stop getting butthurt over how much you had to spend on feminine hygiene products to get the sand out of you clam after the fact..

Thanks for your help:D

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
First off the specs. '98 Taco , full floating rear w/ discs and 4cyl "mini" calipers ground down a touch, on all Fours. No parking brake (it's a trail only rig). Stock BPV w/ the BPV "spring" chopped off and sitting in a homemade bracket that alows about 1" of movement up and down (I know it's ghetto, but don't think it has anything to do with my issue)

After first converting, my brakes were a bit soft, just like many have expeirienced, after thorough bleeding they worked just fine for a couple of trips. On my last trip out I noticed the tires sliding a bit going down steep inclines, and the truck wanted to stop by itself. It got so bad that I had to crack a bleeder valve to release pressure to get off the trail. When I got home I put it on stands, spinned the tires, and indeed all Four were binding.

I thought it may have been one of the MC springs not returning and releiving pressure, or a bad seal. Possibly a kink in a line somewhere. After inspecting all the lines and finding no issues I went to the MC. Rebuilt the MC, bleed the entire system, and still they are binding.

My next thought is that it could be in the vacuum booster. Maybe a damaged diaphram, bad return spring. That might make sence, but the pedal seems to return OK, a little slow, but it will come back up.

I also thought about the calipers. Could grinding on the cast have heated them up enough to tweek the cast, and cause the pistons to not release? If so all four of them?? And I know plenty of folks that have ground their calipers with no issues!

I'm really baffled guys! Could be something very simple that my noobness is over looking. Any suggestions?!?!
have you tried to release the BPV valve? That might explain the rears locking up but not the fronts.

only you could come up with something this weird, LOL
have you called Brian and asked for his guess? :p

I can't even get my brakes to lock up...at all. At least the truck stops; I just worry about when I carry a load.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you thought about maybe trying one of these?
http://www.stylinconcepts.com/parts.aspx/partfamilyid/1132/subcategoryid/151/categoryid/1

As far as I can tell its the only part you havent replaced at least twice yet!!! I'm pretty sure that from the symptoms you describe this should fix your junk!

Doug

*snaps* Now why the hell did'nt I figure that out, that's gotta be the sollution.

I'm begining to think you guys get great enjoyment out of watching me scramble to get my junk done before a run....Wait...How would you know that?!? You have'nt been web wheeling in a long time because you're too busy watching Justin Timberlake video's over and over dreaming about making man babeis with JT while searching the internet looking for the latest and greatest buttplug to add to you collection.:flipoff4:

Se 'ya this weekend man..

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Chris, yes I did talk to Brian, as well as many others and I've heard everything from too big of a MC to the pushrod needing adjustment with no luck.:confused: I've got a few more things to check and swap from freinds trucks and maybe I'll come up with a sollution. I'll be sure to let everyone know what it was...

·
Registered
4,300 Posts

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
*snaps* Now why the hell did'nt I figure that out, that's gotta be the sollution.

I'm begining to think you guys get great enjoyment out of watching me scramble to get my junk done before a run....Wait...How would you know that?!? You have'nt been web wheeling in a long time because you're too busy watching Justin Timberlake video's over and over dreaming about making man babeis with JT while searching the internet looking for the latest and greatest buttplug to add to you collection.:flipoff4:

Se 'ya this weekend man..
Ya, and thanks for the JT video collection... my 14yo neice said she would love to have your Sanjaya collection whenever you're done, but its OK if it takes a while, she'll understand!!:neener:

Nice build tho, I cant wait to check it out this weekend:saw: :welder:

·
Registered
207 Posts
hey brian my truck started to do this the past week. when I come up to a stop light I dont have to touch the brake. I can hear them rubbing on the rotor when going slow. But I think mine is only doing it up front. Haven' t had time to look at it yet. Are you using the v6 calipers?

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
hey brian my truck started to do this the past week. when I come up to a stop light I dont have to touch the brake. I can hear them rubbing on the rotor when going slow. But I think mine is only doing it up front. Haven' t had time to look at it yet. Are you using the v6 calipers?
He said he had 4 cyls all the way around.

The rotors need to be turned down with the v6's if you give a shit. I think my pads were "turned down" enough before I knew the difference.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, they're 4cyl, V6 were way to big to run the rims I wanted. What I ended up doing is backing off the push rod from the booster a turn and a half and adjusting my pedal so I had a bit more play. They still rub just a touch, but not enough to slow the truck, or heat up the rotors. I've still got to dick with it a bit.
Sounds like you may need a manual PV, in addition to what Wes was saying.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Ya, and thanks for the JT video collection... my 14yo neice said she would love to have your Sanjaya collection whenever you're done, but its OK if it takes a while, she'll understand!!:neener:

Nice build tho, I cant wait to check it out this weekend:saw: :welder:
What the fuck is a Sanjaya :dunno:? Sounds like some third world country.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
Yeah, they're 4cyl, V6 were way to big to run the rims I wanted. What I ended up doing is backing off the push rod from the booster a turn and a half and adjusting my pedal so I had a bit more play. They still rub just a touch, but not enough to slow the truck, or heat up the rotors. I've still got to dick with it a bit.
Sounds like you may need a manual PV, in addition to what Wes was saying.
so, you made those adjustments to the system? could that be the problem?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
so, you made those adjustments to the system? could that be the problem?
Actualy that was the sollution. In theory it was a combination of the MC being faulty, (seals) and the pushrod not having enough freeplay. The pushrod was set to long which would'nt let the fluid flow back into the resevoir when the pedal was released. The fluid would heat up, expand and have no place to go, which would'nt alow the pistons to release. Adjusting the play in the pedal also allowed the pushrod to pull back out of the MC more.
Then again what do I know, I just read that info from a reliable member on PBB, made the adjustments, and they seem to work fine now.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
Actualy that was the sollution. In theory it was a combination of the MC being faulty, (seals) and the pushrod not having enough freeplay. The pushrod was set to long which would'nt let the fluid flow back into the resevoir when the pedal was released. The fluid would heat up, expand and have no place to go, which would'nt alow the pistons to release. Adjusting the play in the pedal also allowed the pushrod to pull back out of the MC more.
Then again what do I know, I just read that info from a reliable member on PBB, made the adjustments, and they seem to work fine now.
figures, LOL. every time I do some mod and then something goes wrong I just assume my mod is the cause of the trouble ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts